What's new

Sony vs Denon (1 Viewer)

mubashir

Agent
The 10HZ increment for the sony is true.

When I first bought my Sony STR-DB1070,I went to my uncle's house since he has an own personal hometheater setup ready.We tried the Sony and it was awsome.Then I tried to listen to his Denon 1802 and it souded so tereble.Me and my friend were shocked since this was a denon and it got great review from you guys.All the sound were like blended together.I think my uncle was also shocked but tried to hide it.So for me the sony wins if compared to denon but it might lost to other series like the 2802 and 3802 but those cost a mere extra grand here in Malaysia.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
You know, this doesn't have much to do with anything but, I was reading this post, unaware I had already posted in here when I came across my post. At first I was like, hey, I have stuff in common with this guy! Then I thought, man this mean! Then I was like, oh wait, its me!
I guess I wasn't having a good day. ;)
Jon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Buy a Denon. Sony's are habitually underpowered. Review in Dec S&V (I think) compared Sony to 2 other receivers. The Sony was underpowered compared to the other 2.
And, before you say, "Yeah, but it's the db series which is more ES-like," I say p-tuey on you-ee :) because the Sony TA-N9000ES amp, 5 channel, bridgeable amp, is also underpowered, and doesn't even meet Sony's specs:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/fram...AN9000ES.shtml

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I say Denon. Is your Sony still under warrenty? If so you may be able to get it fixed for free.
Good one Kevin. Not only did you use the dreaded "p-tuey on you-ee". You had data to back it up.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Pffffft!;)
That review of the TA-N is awfully old, and the failures were pre-production models. When it was finally released, the advertised rating was 115 WPC. Accurate? Who knows? I never turn mine up to clipping, it's too loud way before I get close to that. That's partly because I'm using 2 of them in bridged mode-not that I needed two, but for the price I could scarcely afford to leave the 2nd one in the store.
All in all, a nice piece for the price (~$800 street) as is my old DB830 receiver, now on duty in the basement setup.

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
Before knocking the DB lines and saying they are underpowered, consider that they are rated full spectrum from 20 to 20k hertz. The DE line is rated only at 1khz. This is the same rating as Denon and the rest.

Mike

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Hey, that's not true. My Denon 3300 is three years old and is rated 20hz-20khz. If you don't believe me just take a look. In fact all the Denon receivers old and new on their web site are rated 20hz-20khz.
Link Removed
Link Removed

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The DB line uses the AMP section of the ES line, not the processing circuitry. I listened to a friend's DB940, and it sounded EXACTLY like the old DE815 that I got rid of, just with more power. Another friend has an old DA50ES, and it sounds noticably better. Though feature packed, I have to agree that they are underpowered.

mubashir

Agent
I would defenitly choose the Sony over the Denon.Before I bought my Sony STR-DB1070,I auditioned the Denon 1802 and found the sony just blew it away especially in the 5.1 channel.It seemed there was not such thing as discrete in the denon.After that I read the review of the 1801 in home-entertainment and it said "With full-bore action, the bass is lacking and dialogue becomes muffled. It begins to sound like the film's score was mixed in a food processor rather than a high-tech studio".And it gave 5 star to the STR-DB1070.After a few more auditions at different stores I was convinced the sony was a better choice.The denon AVR-2802 shouldn't be any different than the AVR-1802 execpt for more power and six channel.If I had the cash I would surely buy the Denon AVR-3802 but here in Malaysia it is RM 3800 compared to RM 2600 for the sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks