What's new

Sony VPH-D50Q FP and Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony VPH-D50Q CRT front projector with the built in line doubler board (EXB-DS10) and I recently upgrade my DVD player to a Denon DVD-2900 with progessive scan output. The problem is I can't get the projector to see the PS output. I turned off the board (on the setup menu) and tried various input configs ie: changing input from COMPONENT to HDTV Y Pb Pr
but no luck. The projector sees the interlaced signal from the Denon no problem but as soon as I switch over to progressive output the projector menu says "no signal detected"

Since the board is fairly old technology, I'd be interested in seeing the difference between it's quality and the PS output of the Denon. Anyone know a fix for this?

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
In order to do this first turn off your DVD player, it won't work otherwise.

Set 5bnc to off, select input A, Under component choose HDTV-YPbPr and finally set sync to Ext(hv)

This works on my G70 and as far as I know it works on the D50 as well.

Good luck.

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Chris. Your settings are only half the story though. Because the Denon and it's PS signal is a new kind of input- diferent from what my old Sony DVD put out- the tubes had to be re-registered.

I found the Sony Service Manual for the D50-Q online http://www.vidya.com/D50/
and did a from scratch registration, (including green)and the results were nothing short of spectacular. The smoothness of the picture and the beautiful way black areas are reproduced really impressed me.

The Denon PS picture is at least 50% better than I got with
the Sony line doubler board (& that picture was very good)

Dan

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Glad to hear it worked for you. Here is a little tip if you should happen to add another input source. While your PJ is receiving the input signal from your DVD player, on the internal remote hold down the memory key for a few seconds and it will ask you if you want to keep this registration data for all inputs, select yes. Now when ever you put a new input source in it will use this registration data and chances are it will be very close and you will only have to fine tune it for the new signal.

If this was your first time doing all of the registration adjustments, give yourself a couple weeks and redo it, I can almost guarentee you will do a better job the second time around :)

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris....yes you're right...can't seem to get the red tube to cooperate in that pesky lower right corner. I'll try again when I have renewed patience and a few spare hours...

Thanks again for the tip.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks