1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony to release "Transformers" (G1) series in 2007

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff Jacobson, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

It was announced here that the soon to be released The Transformers: The Movie DVD contains (among many other extras) a "G1 Series Trailer (announcing a Sony release of G1 on DVD in 2007!)"

Hopefully they don't make the same mistakes that Rhino made!

2. Kris_AB

Kris_AB Stunt Coordinator

Kris
    Aw man...I just bought the entire series of Rhino's G1 DVDs three years ago. On the one hand I kinda hope these suck so I'm not tempted...then again, I wonder if I could get back even a decent fraction of the crazy price I paid for the Rhino sets (especially Season 1 and both parts of Season 2). And I know, I know--it's not nice to hope that Sony's are crap 'cause there're a lotta dedicated fans out there who own the Rhino sets, were very disappointed in them, and would be willing to spend the cash again.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up owning both if Sony's are significantly different/better (though not likely given budget constraints at the moment). I'm really just happy to finally be getting a quality release of the animated movie. I've held back on buying that one crucial piece of G1.

Now this has got me thinking that I definitely should wait to see if Beast Wars and Beast Machines are re-released. I've actually wanted to re-watch those a lot more than G1 for the past several years, just haven't got around to buying 'em yet and I wanted to make sure I satisfied childhood nostalgia first with the original's sets (and I'm a fan of continuity, so it made sense to buy and view in order).

3. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

How about G.I.Joe?
    Rhino never even finished those!!

4. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

Demetris G
  5. Kris_AB

Kris
    Heh, yeah it still smarts to be faced with a re-release now even though I bought 'em three years ago. What?

6. Kris_AB

Kris
    Kinda glad these aren't coming out anymore (or, at least, any time soon). Now I don't have to worry about being re-tempted.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So now there's not going to be a rerelease?

Too bad-I might have been interested had they been cheap enough, but at the prices for the Rhino sets, I was fine with passing on them.

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The first issue of Cereal:Geek has some articles about Transformers, including an article about how Rhino screwed up their Transformers DVD sets.