What's new

Sony TiVo-compatible DirecTV Receivers (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hi, all

Does anyone know if Sony has a TiVo-compatible (DirecTV system) Satt Receiver Unit available? I'v only seen RCA, Hughes, and the generic "DirecTV" logos on Receivers in the local stores and I haven't seen any Sony's on the 'net. I've been told this: "The TiVo Receivers are in an exclusive/limited Mfgr agreement for now and sometime in the future this agreement will expire which will allow more Mfg'rs into this market". Is this fact or fiction?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sony had one out a few years ago. They stopped manufacturing it while the hardware was still at Series 1. All DirecTV DVR's powered by Tivo are made by Solectron at the same factory in Mexico. The Hughes, Philips, Sony, etc. models that you see are all the same receiver put in a different case. Sony just like to change about 50% more for the privelige of having a Sony.

-Robert

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Thanks for the info!

I have another question about the TiVo DirecTV rececivers: Are there any out there that have the RF Remotes instead of the IR's?

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I have the basic Hughs TiVo Direct TV. I'm looking for a DVR&DVD Recorder to replace it. Any suggestions for a basic one and if i do that,should i get a HD one?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice thread hijack. I wouldn't get a DVD recorder to REPLACE the DirecTivo. I got mine to compliment it. I dump my shows to my cheap, Wal-Mart DVD recorder just like dumping them to a VCR. By "HD" do you mean "hard drive" or "high def"? Watch out for the confusing acronyms.

-Robert

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Pretty hard to get a DVR without a Hard Drive so it must have meant High Def,ya think.I'll be nice since you answered my question,thanks. DH.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've gotten a lot of comments about my postings from that day. I deserved most of them.:D

I thought this sentence referred to the DVD recorder only. Asking if you wanted a basic model with recording capabilities or one with a hard drive that allowed editing before recording to DVD.

I sometimes record to an RW disc and take it to my PC for editing. Remove the commercials from a few 30 minute shows and combine them to a single DVD-R. Also, this cheap recorder did not replace my regular DVD player. It doesn't play DTS discs!!!

-Robert

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Not to mention that I don't think there is a hi def dvd recorder on the market... and probably won't be until some months or years after blu ray debuts here.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
OK,i'll try again. LOL

Right now i have the Highs TiVo. I was thinking of getting a DVR/DVD recorder combo. I know they have those but do the come so i can start watching HD channals on Direct. I'll get it somewhere down the line. LOL

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
There is no Tivo DVR plus DVD recorder functionality *for DIRECTV*! There are standalone Tivo DVRs that can also record shows to DVD, but none that work as a D*TV unit.

-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks