Sony TiVo-compatible DirecTV Receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Willis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hi, all

Does anyone know if Sony has a TiVo-compatible (DirecTV system) Satt Receiver Unit available? I'v only seen RCA, Hughes, and the generic "DirecTV" logos on Receivers in the local stores and I haven't seen any Sony's on the 'net. I've been told this: "The TiVo Receivers are in an exclusive/limited Mfgr agreement for now and sometime in the future this agreement will expire which will allow more Mfg'rs into this market". Is this fact or fiction?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Sony had one out a few years ago. They stopped manufacturing it while the hardware was still at Series 1. All DirecTV DVR's powered by Tivo are made by Solectron at the same factory in Mexico. The Hughes, Philips, Sony, etc. models that you see are all the same receiver put in a different case. Sony just like to change about 50% more for the privelige of having a Sony.

-Robert

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Robert,

Thanks for the info!

I have another question about the TiVo DirecTV rececivers: Are there any out there that have the RF Remotes instead of the IR's?

4. dany

dany Supporting Actor

I have the basic Hughs TiVo Direct TV. I'm looking for a DVR&DVD Recorder to replace it. Any suggestions for a basic one and if i do that,should i get a HD one?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Nice thread hijack. I wouldn't get a DVD recorder to REPLACE the DirecTivo. I got mine to compliment it. I dump my shows to my cheap, Wal-Mart DVD recorder just like dumping them to a VCR. By "HD" do you mean "hard drive" or "high def"? Watch out for the confusing acronyms.

-Robert

6. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Pretty hard to get a DVR without a Hard Drive so it must have meant High Def,ya think.I'll be nice since you answered my question,thanks. DH.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I've gotten a lot of comments about my postings from that day. I deserved most of them.[​IMG]

I thought this sentence referred to the DVD recorder only. Asking if you wanted a basic model with recording capabilities or one with a hard drive that allowed editing before recording to DVD.

I sometimes record to an RW disc and take it to my PC for editing. Remove the commercials from a few 30 minute shows and combine them to a single DVD-R. Also, this cheap recorder did not replace my regular DVD player. It doesn't play DTS discs!!!

-Robert

8. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Not to mention that I don't think there is a hi def dvd recorder on the market... and probably won't be until some months or years after blu ray debuts here.

9. dany

dany Supporting Actor

OK,i'll try again. LOL

Right now i have the Highs TiVo. I was thinking of getting a DVR/DVD recorder combo. I know they have those but do the come so i can start watching HD channals on Direct. I'll get it somewhere down the line. LOL

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    There is no Tivo DVR plus DVD recorder functionality *for DIRECTV*! There are standalone Tivo DVRs that can also record shows to DVD, but none that work as a D*TV unit.

-Christian

11. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Darn.