What's new

Sony sub amp, Titanic driver (1 Viewer)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I have a sony sawm500(150w, 12"), I am not entirely happy with it and am interested in DIY. I have already built a sealed box for the sony which was an improvement. Now I am wondering if I could replace the sony driver with a Titanic or Shiva. The sony amp is rated for 150W into 6ohms. If I built a vented enclosure with the new driver and sony amp would this be much of an inprovement? Can the sony amp drive the Titanic or Shiva? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Maybe, but I dont want to buy another amp. The sony does 150 into 6 ohms, thats like 200w into 4ohms by my reckoning. I am not going to buy another amp, if the sony amp is not going to work then I will save for an SVS in a year or two.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the Sony ported? If so, it'll be much too small to use the Shiva or Titanic drivers in. Also, if the amp isn't rated for a 4 ohm load you could very well fry it with a 4 ohm driver. Not to mention there's probably some boost built into the Sony amp.

You're probably better off just saving up for that SVS if you don't really want to learn how to properly design and build your own sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks