What's new

Sony STR-DB940 Receiver - Need some info Please! (1 Viewer)

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
I posted a few weeks ago regarding a replacement for my STR-DE925 receiver. It turns out my insurance company is going to replace it :). The model they are replacing it with is the Sony STR-DB940 receiver. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with it? I'd like to get an idea of what to expect with it(:emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:.)
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I'd give it a :thumbsdown:, but compared to the 925 it is definitely a step up, so do it! MUCH better amps, though the sound will be relatively the same. I compared my old 815 (sold) to my friend's 940 with the same speakers, and they sounded identical for HT and music, with the exception of much cleaner amplification in the 940.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a DB830 in my main listening room (now have a Pioneer Elite 35TX), and was very impressed with the performance for the price at the time. The DB series receiver should be a definite upgrade over your DE series unit.

The biggest upgrade is the amps which are full bandwidth rated (unlike the DE which are rated at 1khz). This supposedly uses the same amp section or parts of the section of the entry level ES receiver. A good description is ES amps and DE processing.

All in all it should be a very serviceable receiver.

J

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I was going to get the DA3ES once I saw the thread on the price drops. But unfortunately, insurance isn't going to pay as much as I'd hoped. I personally never had any complaints on the sound from my DE, so if this anything of a step up, I'll be a pretty happy camper all the way around.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've got a DB840, and I've been extremely happy with it. good entry level reciever, and definitely a step up from the DE stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks