What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
When I shut the receiver off and then
back on the settings I had set for PLII
Movie, Neo6 have automatically changed
to PRO LOGIC. Anyone experience this or have an idea why this is happening. This has been a problem since day one. Thanks.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I can't tell you why this is happening, since my settings are always saved from what I set them at the day I got my Sony DA5ES.

I wonder if you are making the settings but not actually entering them so that when you power down they revert back to the default factory settings? Seems like the only plausible answer to me - since mine, as I stated, were changed the day I set up the receiver and have never changed- unless I personally make a change. Even then, upon making a change once, but changing things back because I didn't like the new settings, the changes I made stuck until I made new changes.

If my memory serves, even if you make a change within the menus, you actually have to ENTER them to have them stick.

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Michael T
Don,t understand when you say entering the
setting, for example if I setup PLII is
there an enter button that should be pushed and if so what one, the front panel
has an enter, and the remote two one under
the nine and one at the enter/execute button. Please advise. Thanks.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
There is a feature you may need to turn on that saves your settings. I forget what it is called (and I am too sleepy to go look), but it is plainly labeled in the manual.

Give it a try...

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Warren
I couldn,t find the save setting feature you are speaking of in the manual, if you
remember what it is and the page number please let me know. Thanks.

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
It appears Michael and Warren have left
the forum, anyone have an idea what save
setting feature they are talking about and on what page of the owners manual it maybe found. Thanks.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Hey Gerard:

I looked at the manual and how I set-up my DA5ES, and for the life of me I can't understand why your settings aren't taking. I know that when I set my menus up, I go into the menu, make the setting and exit from the menu - and the next time I turn on the receiver, my settings are saved.

I may have been mistaken in that there is an enter button - as it appears your settings should take.

The only thing, and this is a remote possibility at which I am drawing at straws, is that you just might have your receiver plugged into an outlet that you cut the power to when not using your receiver.

I know that even that there is no "standby" light on the receiver that the unit goes into "standby" when the power button is off - as referenced on page 86 of the manual, where it states, " Power consumption (during standby mode) 1 w."

If for some reason you are turning off the power via a switched outlet to the receiver for any period of time it could be possible that your settings are being lost. As I said I am grabbing at straws - but other than that I can't tell you why you would be losing your settings everytime you power up your receiver.

One last thing could be that for some strange reason your receiver is doing what is explained on page 19 of the manual, where it talks about clearing the receiver's memory. You might not be doing this per se, but there could be the offhand chance that the receiver is "defective" and it is stuck in this memory clearing mode.

You might want to call Sony Technical at the 1-800 number listed on your warranty card. They might be able to give you the best help.

Good luck.

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Michael
I had been using a Tripplite ISOBAR6
DBS and Panamax 5300 surge protector went
directly to wall outlet with same result, it appears as you mentioned the receiver maybe bi-passing standby and going directly to off causing me to lose my settings. As for Sony Customer support they are an adventure in itself, I brought
the receiver into a local authorized SSC
had it there 9 days and was told there
was a decoding problem but they didn,t know how to fix it, suggested I send it to
a regional Sony Service Center, sent it
half way around the world, FL. to Bristol
PA. who told me I needed a circuit board replaced then shipped it back with a note
no problem found. It seems I have two
options leave the receiver on and enjoy
PLII and a large electric bill or shut it
off and settle for PRO LOGIC. Sony support in my case was no more than a joke. Thanks for your assistance I guess I got the only lemon on the tree.

flenn

Agent
Gerard, my DA5ES did the same thing when I first got it. It would jump to PL mode from PL2 after shutting it down (or switching inputs, I think). I kept thinking that I'll have to figure out why and deal with it because it was annoying. Anyway, all of a sudden it stopped doing that. I'm not sure why, but I think it stopped right around the time that I created an EQ setting. Now, whenever I power up, the DA5ES goes to PL2 with my custom EQ. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Gerald- Heres another straw. Does the DA5 have a 3 posisition on/standby/off feature? If your going off to on instead of standby to on ,this may be the problem. Another thing you might try is go to a local ES dealer and cycle through the appropriate menus and record each setting. It is possible that you have missed something simple. Also does the DA5 have the "sound bank" feature? If it does, DPLll may be just one setting in the bank of several other settings. Just a few thoughts I had and the best of luck, Jack

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
The setup of the DA5ES is pretty straight
and simple under normal conditions, go into the setup menu select the surround
parameters, the first of which should be
2CH decoding, then 2ch mode and so on, mine did that until one morning I turned rec on and there was no audio turned it off then back on and audio returned 2ch decoding did not from that point first
surround parameter was PRO LOGIC which you
would expect from the DA3ES. When I could
finally get PLII back the rec will not
hold setting as if it is not going into
standby mode but rather directly to off,
unfortunately the DA5ES does not have a
standby light on the receivers front panel
to confirm you are indeed in standby.
I have not used EQ settings heard if you
are not sure what you a doing don,t do it.
bottom line I thought my options would be
PLII with rec on 24/7 or PRO LOGIC, this
is no longer so, receiver suffered severe
audio malfunction on all inputs Video 1,2
tuner so right now using the DA5ES as an
expensive door stop however believe will
ship it back to PA. If they can,t find a
problem this time they need to look for a
job they are qualified to do. Thanks for
all your suggestions they are all valid and make sense, unfortunately this Sony is
a lemon which needs rebuilding rather than
repair. I do have a Onkyo 898 as a backup
however did like the Sony when it worked.
Again thanks to all.

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
There is a setting which toggles between remembering each setting for each input mode .vs. just using the last setting regardless of the mode.

In either case, I wouldn't think it'd power-up to completely different setting. Perhaps there's a problem with the backup circuit that's supposed to retain the settings when the unit is in standby, or when power goes off for a short time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks