What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Well picked one up today, traded in my Sony 840 receiver and first thing I noticed was the volumne control....now on my older 840, I couldn't get it past a 1/4 turn and the volumne was quite loud, with this new one, which is rated 110w vs 100w, I have to go to almost the 12 o'clock position to achieve the same volumne.
But the sound does seem more refined so that may be the difference?
Anyone else notice this type of change when going to this receiver?
Thanks,
G2
almost done gathering...I hope! or rather my wife hopes :)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Gary, how do you have your settings on the reciver cause I have the same reciver and at about 4o clock or 45 on vol mine is very loud. One thing I will say about this reciever is it has a lot of bells and wistles and takes some time to figure it all out and get it to sound right (at least for me it did).

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I said 4o clock wops more like 9 or 10 if I go to 12 position it just gets scary, the cat hides my wife's birds start going nuts and the neibors stare out the windows wondering what the hell is goging on.:D

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
WOW that 4 o'clock setting would be a killer for sure!

Mine are set around the -50 and -45 depending on what we are watching, the Phantom Menace has many BOOMING scenes the wife just hates so I turn it down a tad for those times.

I'm driving the Klipsch RF7 speakers for the mains and the RC7 for center with SB1s for rears as well as the Velodyne SPL1200 for a sub, what a sub!

I haven't gone the expense of a Rear center channel, that will be for the next house I get..

I have the Mains and center set as Small, with the cross over at 40.

It threw me at the position of the volumne dial as I thought that this one would be so much more but it truly is just at a different dial setting which I guess I'll have to get used to. Music sounds pretty good, the other receiver sound much more bright than this one, I believe this one has a lot smoother sound to it.

As to bells and whistles YIKES does this have them! I'm going through the book now which is quite lengthy.

G2

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Still don't know if there is something amiss with this receiver or not, one thing, while playing the movie Joy Ride, the setup screen has some detail that I can't hear unless I turn it up REAL loud, now I listened to this before with the 840 and it played like anyother dvd for the seup area, so there is a real difference in this.

I have the Sony 560 dvd player, and two channels are going to my TV for audio when just playing the TV and during the setup it has the sound like normal...

This bugs me to no end...

Playing a cd seems to also need the volumne up higher as well...this is with coax cables where the dvd is connected via the optical cable...

G2

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Gary, have you tryed playing around with the EQ? You may need to set and mess with it for a little bit to get things to sound right if you wont I can give you the settings for how I have my EQ to give you somewhere to start from, the only thing is Im useing polk speakers so your settings may need to be completely differnt to sound right with your speakers since you have horn style tweeters if Im thinking right.One other thing you said you have your crossover set at 40hz try goging around 150hz for all speakers and set your sub to around 80hz.
Hope this helps you out...;)
Oh ya if you have the extra money for the rear center it is well worth it in my opion I wouldent hold out too long if your wondering how it would sound it will totaly change how movies sound.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks Joe, I've not messed with any of the EQ as I tend to try and keep things flat and not mess with them but I may give a stab at it.

As to the rear channel, that will be a while, no place for it to rest at all, and no wife approval, heck the two rear speakers were a challenge and still prove to be so when there is a movie with lots of surround activity, complains about the noise...oh well!

This receiver is growing on me, the sound is much more refined than the 840, where the 840 seemed more harsh this is smoother and warmer, nice!

G2

Jim_F

Screenwriter
It might be interesting to check actual SPL readings when comparing relative loudness between receivers.

I believe in my experience, after a lifetime of rock concerts, car stereos and cheap amps, that one of my auditory cues for perceiving loudness is distortion.

When I upgraded to my modest separates (Sony TA-E9000ES w/2 TA-N9000ESs in "BTL" mode) it seemed like I was pushing them harder than I'd expected in order achieve satisfying levels. I suspect that the relative absence of distortion "tricked" me into thinking it wasn't as "loud" as I'd anticipated.

Of course this all conjecture, since I've never actually taken the time to measure.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Gary,

Have you compared any other connections for volume besides those from the cd/dvd? Does the radio tuner seem that much quieter? Any other connections (vcr, phone, tape) that you can try?

Just to see if we can isolate to the dvd/cd would help.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,

Most of sony's lower end receiver provide more volume during the beginning range of the turn to give users a false sense of having a more powerful receiver. Once you pass the 12 o' clock position the volume will increase marginally.

I suppose that the es line's volume increases linearly throughout the volume range.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Phil, I tried the other inputs as well and they were also quiet on the lower end of the dial, more so than the 840 was, and Konrad that's a good point I wondered if that might not be the case. The receiver does sound very good, just have to break out of my paradigm where the dial position is concerned!
Jim, I'll borrow my friends SPL meter and see where it falls out, I don't listen to real high volumnes, the wife and kids just hate that...;)
G2

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
How would the amps in the DA5ES compare to the Parasound HCA-855? I am going to pick up the 5ES for under $700 and am looking into buying the HCA-855 for around $450. Would I notice a big difference and worth the money? How do you guys like your 5ES?

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe. Well, with tax and everything it comes out to less than $700. I know someone that works for a division of Sony. That's all I'm gonna say. He can get B stock for less than $500 but he says they are rare. I asked my roommate (who works at a major retailer) to get me an Onkyo TX-DS797 (around $600) but he might buy one for himself and might not be able to buy me one. Anyhow, I've been reading and the Sony DA5ES looks sweet. My friend has the DA333ES and I really like it and I feel the 5ES would be good. Has anyone put a Parasound amp to their setup with 5es? I have NHT SuperOne's which are rated 86dB rated and I'm scrared to get the Parasound and compromise the sound with a lesser watt amp as the model I'm looking at is 85x5 and the 5ES is 110x6. Any input on this issue will be greatly appreciated!!

Dan

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I live near Abt (abtelectronics.com) and they usually are good for dealing and great service. I emailed them with the Oade price and they said that Oade isn't listed as an authorized internet Sony dealer (I know they are authorized store though). So I will go down and mention the J&R price too and go from there.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Sony and Denon are totally different in the way they sell goods. Oades is a Sony dealer and an ES line dealer as are most of the million stores in the world(and yes as an authorized dealer and an internet dealer). All you need is a receipt, and a unit with the original serial number ( although Sony never says that you need an original serial number, just common sense). I emailed them about this issue, and actually got a response that all you need is a receipt for the 5 year warranty. Steve at 6th ave, will help you. Tell him EARLTHEPEARL sent you.

PS/ There are select partnership dealerships that offer an exchange program with Sony on repairs. JR, 6th ave, and Oades on the ES line are in that group.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks