What's new

Sony STR-DA1ES in stock at Crutchfield for $500. (1 Viewer)

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Does it seem it strange that an ES grade receiver is actually graded as QS overseas?

T.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, the QS receivers overseas have a DB in the model (e.g., STR-DB780 and 'DB1080). Sony used to use the DB designation in the US as well. The STR-DB830, 'DB930, 'DB840, 'DB940, and 'DB1070 were all available in the US as well as other parts of the world. For some reason, Sony never put the QS badge on the US components. This was true for the Sony MDS-JB920, 'JB930, and 'JB940 minidisc players that were all marketed in the US. For some reason, Sony just this year discontinued the DB designation in the US and now has the US equivalent models as part of its ES line. I believe the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES in the US are eqivalent or at least very similar to the 'DB780 and 'DB1080 overseas. We get a break in the US since the ES models come with a five-year warranty.

TimG

Second Unit
Well, I have a DB830 that has performed extremely well over the years. When we get our new theatre room built I will probably move up to an ES receiver with external amps. I have been happy with Sony receivers over the long haul, still have an old one that we use in the study, it is about 10 yrs old. (Although it was a base "consumer" model, so I guess it is crap. ;) ) Never had a problem with Sony receivers.
TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks