Sony STR-DA1ES in stock at Crutchfield for $500.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 8, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield has the Sony STR-DA1ES receiver in stock for $499.99. It just went up on their web site today. Unfortunately, there is no picture up yet. The 'DA1ES does DPL-II, but not DD-EX, DTS-ES, or DTS Neo:6. Here is the feature list from Crutchfield's web site:

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

For non-Nth Americans reference, this will be sold in your markets as the STRDB-780 in the QS range.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, that is what I suspected since a US dealer told me that the 'DA1ES would replace the 'DB1070 over here. Good post on your part. Those outside of North America will also be getting the 'DB1080, which I imagine will be a direct replacement for the 'DB1070 and will probably match up with the 'DA2ES. Then I am guessing that the 'VA333ES will match up with the 'DA4ES. I'm obviously just guessing here. I don't know if those outside of North America will get the 'DA7ES or equivalent.

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    IMHO I would look for something besides a Sony. But that is just my opion, sorry. I like the Sony SACD players and some of there DVD player but the Sony reciever, nope. Would not use on in my system even if someone shipped it to me for free! LOL

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Dave,

did you have a bad experiance with a Sony receiver?

6. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

No, he just makes a habit of going into Sony ES receiver threads to slam the receivers even though he obviously has never heard them (witness his inaccurate statements about the receivers in other posts). In others words a classic Sony hater!

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hello SvenS

I would like to know what supposed inaccurate statements I have made about receivers in other post? I feel the only reason you have been offended is that you own a Sony reciever? I do admit I do not like most of the trash Sony cranks out. Do to the fact that they put the cheapest part they can get there hands on into the standard line. This is not my opinion but it is fact. When you buy a cheap Sony product you get a cheap Sony product. My response was not ment to insult or to start a spat on this forum. Yes it is true I have never owned a Sony reciever, but that is because they have yet to make one I will spend my hard earned money on! I am currently looking at possible buying a Sony ES SACD player. So do I hate everything they make, no I dont. Sony makes nice 8mm camcorders, Sony ES line has nice SACD players and I have seen some nice ES DVD players and some of there rear projection tvs are ok. But I stick by my statement that Sony for the most part cranks out alot of crap. My post was only to state my opinion that maybe someone should not buy a Sony receiver. If they have heard it and they like it, well it is their hard earned cash on the line. And if that is what they like then that is what they should buy. That is why people come on and ask for advise, so they can get other peoples opinions. There is always someone who for some reason get personall offended. I would not take post personally. Some people like Yamaha some like Harman Kardon. Some others may like Pioneer Elite and others may like Sony, god forbid, lol. That is why there is so many companies to choose from. I hope this was not a post that you took a personal offense to.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, what is your point? Did your post serve any point other than to stir the pot?

You said:

9. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

10. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

11. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Sony's ES line does in fact use higher quality internal
    components than other lower end receivers, including Sony's
    own. There have been many very positive reviews of
    the ES receiver products in magazines, etc. What I'd like
    to know is WHY opinions can vary so widely? We're not dealing here with that much subjectivity. Either the product works, and produces good, undistorted sound or
    it doesn't. Obviously, you can prefer one receiver or
    component over another, but in this day and age of nearly
    uniform digital decoding, sound differences are just not
    that radical until you go really wide in component choices,
    something like going from a all in one "Home Theater in a
    Box" to maybe an Anthem AVM-20. IF the Sony's have particular problems with their sound, I wish the commentators would relay that because saying they are horrible without any real explaination is a waste of space.

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The higher quality of the Sony ES line is not in question and I have even stated that I liked some of the ES line! The problem is as soon as someones choic is questioned they take it personally. I have never understood that reaction at all. I just personally do not care for the receivers over all. IMHO the Sony surround is very flat sounding even in the DTS mode and I love DTS. Besides I did not realize that this was a politically correct zone where one must agree with everything? You can buy your Sony reveiver and I will enjoy my choice. We will just agree to disagree on this subject at leave it at that. Stay cool and have a nice day[​IMG]

13. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

The problem I have with your posts (aside from the obvious trolling aspect of them) is your insistance that Sony uses crap parts in their receivers, but you fail to give us proof that this is so! And to call the Sony ES receivers crap again shows you have most likely done little or no listening to them. Yes, you say you like Sony's ES DVD and SDCD players but not the receivers because they are crap, well please post your source for which you base your statements on.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave said:

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Well, Keith, I sure appreciate the info on the STR-DA1ES. While I am not in the market for a receiver right now (had to cancel my order for an Onkyo), it helps to have that info when the time comes.

16. flenn

flenn Agent

Well, Dave says that he's spent 32 hours (in another thread) listening to a buddy's 5ES and concludes that the Sony's surround sounds flat (I suspect that Dave helped him set the unit up, hehe). Anyway, rather than just sitting there and listening to this flat sound Dave, pick up the remote and try to correct the obvious problems in your buddy's setup, room or speakers. You'll find that the Sony offers more adjustments than any receiver in it's price range and can fix most any problem that you or your buddy created. Between the spatial adjustments, individual EQ adjustments, and 10khz incremental bass management, there should be no reason for a flat sound. If this seems to daunting for you, maybe you should leave the Sony ES line to the big boys.

17. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

That was priceless flenn and so true.

I've NEVER heard anyone else describe sony es as flat. They are usually described as detailed (can even be bright with wrong speakers). And if you haven't listened to DVD digital sound using the Sony STudio Cinema B or Virtual Theater modes, you haven't heard what they can do.

Some people act like Sony is the only one with several lines of electronics (DE, DB and ES for example). Yamaha does this as well as some others.

18. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

At the risk of fanning the stupid flames here, I will say that I've gotten 12 years of what I consider great service out of my Sony STR-AV1020 reciever with its consumer grade components and its meare ProLogic decoding - and without a center channel amp, mind you - that I had to assemble from units myself. As a step up from the mono-vhs-though-the-tv world I was used to, it was a quantum leap. Now going to some DTS 6.1 or 7.1 unit will be a similar experience and the STR-AV1020 will be religated to the duty of a spare room, still cranking out great.

If someone has a problem with the current ES line, please, by all means let us know. I'd like to eliminate any problem units early in my decision making process. However, I ask you come to us with some sort of reasoning and facts about an expereince. Something along the lines of 'this feature did not work as advertised or expected' or 'this is missing form the unit and really needs to be there' and not with unsupported, blanket statements like 'its all crap'. With the sophistication in todays units and the sheer number of circuit blocks involved in the delivery of sound from the source medium to the ear - it is not very believable if someone gives a one line statement about why its a problem either. Too many of the problems are caused by a defect in the 'between-the-ears-processor' of the user making a simple error.

19. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

ES receivers have a degree a complication not present on most other receivers and therefore, I wouldn't recommend these receivers to everyone. To the ones who can appreciate these complications, there is virtually only one, and all ES owners know what I'm talking about. Aside from receivers, all ES gear has a look, a feel ,a degree of sophistication that I have come to appreciate and to top it all off, a price that is truly more than competitive with anything else at the same price. Everything I buy is not ES but it is ES that is my standard baseline for comparisons.

20. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Here's hoping that we'll get an actual review of the 1ES soon. I, too, have always liked the ES series, and I'm curious as to the quality of the piece, especially since many people have stated that it's nothing but a re-packaged DB series model. That may be true, but I'd like some data. Anyone using a 1ES? Anyone?

-AM