What's new

SONY PICTURES PRESS RELEASE: Dead Birds (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Henry Thomas, Patrick Fugit, Isaiah Washington and Nicki Aycox Star in Chilling Horror Flick

DEAD BIRDS
There are Worse Things Than Dying

Available on DVD and VHS March 15, 2005

On March 15, 2005, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release DEAD BIRDS, a creepy spine-tingling horror-fest that stars Henry Thomas (Gangs of New York, Legends of the Fall), Patrick Fugit (Almost Famous, Spun), Isaiah Washington (Exit Wounds, Romeo Must Die) and Nicki Aycox (Jeepers Creepers II). DEAD BIRDS will be available on DVD and VHS (rental). A psychologically potent thriller in the slow-burn tradition of The Ring, DEAD BIRDS was called, “the savviest American horror flick since Cabin Fever,” by Jason Anderson in EYE WEEKLY.

DVD Special features include five deleted scenes and a two featurettes.

Synopsis
Set during The Civil War, a group of criminals take refuge in an abandoned plantation house inhabited by the walking dead and ultimately must decide if their fate inside its walls is worse than the one that awaits them on the outside...

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
  • Digitally Mastered Audio & 16x9 Widescreen Presentation 1.85
  • Audio: English Dolby 5.1, French (Dolby Surround)
  • Subtitles: English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
  • 5 Deleted Scenes
  • Director’s Commentary
  • Director, Writer and Cast Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Scene Selections
Rated: R
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 91 Minutes

DVD SLP: $24.96 / VHS SLP: Rental

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was hoping that this might be the Robert Gardner / Peter Matthiessen documentary on the New Guinea tribes.

Great ethnographic filmmaking.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
So I was thinking about renting this one for the weekend, but still haven't gotten too much feedback from anyone. Is this movie at least worth a rental?

The premise looks good, but you never know. After renting Darkness and wasting 2 hours of my time, I thought I'd ask.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
If you like horror flicks, I'd say DEAD BIRDS is far from "god-awful" and is actually pretty darned good. The story moves at a slower, more deliberate pace than the usual MTV-inspired hack horror fare, and there's some great Southern atmosphere and disturbing imagery in there, to boot. It's definitely worth a rental.

Vincent

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hey Vincent I actually rented it last night and I was pleasantly suprised. Some other review sites tore this one up, but I really don't understand. It was a good horror flick.

Sure the ending was a little weak, but the atmosphere and the story were above par. Acting was good all around and that house was pretty creepy.

I'm also recommending this almost unheard of movie.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
My guess, Chris, is that reviewers who tore it up were simply showing their bias against horror movies as a whole. It's an unheard of horror movie, so it MUST be bad, right? That's the attitude of a lot of reviewers it seems*.

Vincent

* I still shudder when I think of Vincent Canby's review of Dario Argento's classic DEEP RED in the New York Times, where he called Argento a "director of incomparable incompetence".

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
That is so true Vincent. I really need to dig in the Horror Archive to look into other "non-popular" movies I might like.

However, I'll say that Toby Hooper's Toolbox Murders was one of the worst movies I've ever witnessed. There is a reason that one didn't get much hype. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks