What's new

sony-ns700p, mitsubishi DD-8020 or the panasonic RP-56 ? (1 Viewer)

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning on getting a new dvd player. It's about time to upgrade from my 1st generation yamaha DVD-1000. These are the three models I'm looking at right now.

I'd like to get some feedback on these. From everything I've read I'm kind of leaning towards the sony but I'm not sure yet. Your comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris my advice is get the Sony, I've had it for about 4 months now and I absolutly love it. I use it on my 47 inch Panasonic HDTV and the picture quality is amazing. The only thing it doesn't have is the zoom feature that the Panasonic RP-91 has but I can live without it since I don't mind the way 2:35:1 movies look, the black bars aren't as annoying on a widescreen tv as they are on a 4:3 tv. Also this player has the chroma bug but it must be very minimal because I haven't seen it yet. It's a great player. Good Luck :emoji_thumbsup:

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Try checking out the new Denon 1600. I haven't seen it yet but from what I've read it's got progressive scan, a memory buffer to reduce layer change times, the Farjouda/Sage chip, and no chroma bug.

StevenB

Agent
Hi,

I have had the Sony for about 2 months now. Granted, I am only using it on my Sony WEGA 27", but the quality is awesome! Go with the 12 bit video and progressive scan options, go with the Sony. You'll be happy. In all fairness though, I only use the remote control, but I am not fond of the jog control on the unit itself. Seems sorts of cheaply made, I am afraid to touch it in case it falls off. Other than that, seems like a winner so far. And like the other person pointed out, the only thing missing is the zoom feature, but the other video equalizing options and stuff make up more than enough for this. Good luck with whatever you get.

Steve

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I'll be getting the denon. Sorry, I should have said his before but I'm looking for.something in the $300 range.

My wife finally let me get a new receiver last weekend (pioneer elite vsx-35tx).

So I'm not going to push this one too far.

You married guys know what I'm talking about.

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I was choosing between the Panasonic RP56 and Sony NS700P too, and ended up going with the Panasonic. :emoji_thumbsup:
I wanted the Sony, because in silver, it does "look cool", it seemed to have the features I needed, etc. However, after reading reviews the panasonic seemed to be better and was $70 less to boot. Apparently the Panasonic has a really good chipset for the price. There was a great article someone included a link to last week that was a great help. It was a progressive-scan DVD shootout done last Aug that included both players which can give you an idea what to look for. I wish I still had the link. This review is what in the end made me go with the Panasonic RP56.

Craig W

Second Unit
Go with the RP56 since it has the Sage Faroudja chipset.

Sony had a lot of problems with their last line of players and I would be hesitant. Panasonics on the other hand have been reasonably reliable the last several generations of players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks