What's new

SONY MOD BD-R (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The arthouse hit Toni Erdmann is being released this week on a Sony MOD disc.

https://www.amazon.com/Toni-Erdmann...91887004&sr=8-1&keywords=toni+erdmann+blu-ray

I haven't previously purchased MOD discs - does anyone have any experience as to the quality of these discs, as compared to pressed discs? There is a UK version being released by another company in the UK in May - this will be a pressed disc, so I can wait for that, if the MOD discs aren't as robust.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Amazon will guarantee the purchase, so if it doesn't work on your player, they'll give you a refund. It should work on most BD players except Xbox One.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Hi. Its expected BR-R discs will last beyond 30 years. Fortunately manufacturing standards have improved much over the years which is good news so you should be OK. I'm always interested what brand of media they deliver on as well.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Hi. Its expected BR-R discs will last beyond 30 years. Fortunately manufacturing standards have improved much over the years which is good news so you should be OK. I'm always interested what brand of media they deliver on as well.
Thanks - I have an Oppo, so it shouldn't have any problem playing the disc. I'll order it - the Sony transfers are generally good. I'll have a look at the disc when it arrives and let you know what it is burned on.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I've bought Sony's BD-R's of Marie Antoinette and Little Women. The former didn't blow my socks off in terms of video quality, but the latter is absolutely gorgeous.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I haven't bought Marie Antoinette - the reviews of that disc suggested that the picture quality was sub-par. I just watched the Region B edition of Jim Jarmusch's Paterson (terrific film, if you're into Jim Jarmusch, by the way). This was released by Soda Pictures in the UK, which also has the forthcoming region B version of Toni Erdmann. The picture of both Paterson and the trailer for Toni Erdmann on the disc looked terrific. I'll post if the Sony is lacklustre, unless someone else reviews it. It takes four weeks for shipping though, so don't hold your breath!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's so weird, but don't be surprised that it actually will be released as a pressed Blu-Ray— THE HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE was advertised as being a BD-R for months on Amazon, only for it to turn out to be a regular Blu in the end.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
That's so weird, but don't be surprised that it actually will be released as a pressed Blu-Ray— THE HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE was advertised as being a BD-R for months on Amazon, only for it to turn out to be a regular Blu in the end.

Could be, but Sony has a known line of BD-R releases so I'd be more surprised if it turns out to be pressed.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received the Toni Erdmann disc today. It is definitely "home made" - I have no way of telling what make the disc is. The picture quality is great but the disc itself doesn't work - the picture constantly freezes for a few seconds throughout the whole disc, from the six previews to the main feature. I'm playing it on my Sony BDP-S3700, which I have with me me at my work apartment. I haven't had any other discs freeze up on this player previously, so I'm inclined to suspect that this BD-R is the culprit. It's the first BD-R I've ordered and it will most certainly be the last. Does anyone know of a contact email address for Sony, so that I can tell them directly?
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2532.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks