Sony KP57HW40. (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI!

Ive calibrated this set before and I really like it. I would strongly consider it for a purchase.

Gregg

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Its on my short list of RP HDTV's. For the price its going for now its pretty decent I think. It looks good to me in HDTV' thats for sure. Its going for $4499.00 CAD right now, correct?
Had to add the Canadian money qualification to my post:) I didn't specifiy cause the thread starter was in Canada and I assumed they knew I meant Monopoly, er, I mean, Canadian dollars :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had one since last October and love it. Originally purchased an Hitachi 53UWX10B and did not like it's line doubling or stretch modes, green tint in dark scenes, and sorta posterized fleshtones.

After a couple of weeks of attempting to tweak the Hitachi I exchanged for the Sony. It was quite good right out of the box and very nice after 20 minutes with AVIA.

I've since done a couple of minor tweaks in the service menu to turn off SVM and have completely eliminated red push, which wasn't too excessive to start with.

I have a progressive scan JVC dvd player and a Tosh HD stb connected to it, and am in HT Hog Heaven.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Re: Sony KP57HW40

I have the Sony KP51HW40, purchased the weekend before Superbowl. Only reason not the 57 was it was too big.

The price you listed is right. (Canadian Funds). The 57 was $4999.00 and the 51 was 3999.00 Each has dropped $500.00

I paid $3999.00 after getting them to throw in a bumper to bumper warranty and cleaning that goes for 6 years.

This is a great unit, not just good. The purchase was not on impulse. I for one have always been skeptical that you pay more for Sony just cuz it's a Sony. I looked at everything for a year, and seriously for the last 3 months prior to purchase. It's better than any other in it's price range including the Toshiba, Hitachi, and so on. The Toshiba was the one I was leaning to til this puppy came out.

Right out of the box the picture is great. One of these days (today is a good day) I'll get around to full calibration.

The line doubler on the TV is incredible. If you search around, you will see that all state that a progressive scan DVD player is a waste of time.

The Sony does the best job of resizing standard broadcast. It has four views (normal, wide, zoom, and widezoom). For DVD's obviously you change the set up on the DVD menu to allow for 16 x 9. For regular broadcasts, I usually revert to widezoom (wide makes people look fat).

If you don't have A/V right now, don't worry about it (much). The sound from the built in's is excellent, as is the sythesized surround.

If you have a cable box, don't use their suggested hookup. I went with (gasp) a splitter, to allow usage of concurrent viewing of digital cable with regular broadcast cable.

This also allows you to program favorites etc.

Incidentally, the side by side viewing is incredible. You can resize one or the other, there is no skipping in sound, or you can set the pictures side by side. On the 51, it's like having two 27 " screens (approximately) side by side. This is great in that you can wait for commercials to go their way while watching another channel. You surf less, and don't miss any action.

You won't be sorry.

(hope this helps?)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I got my Sony KP57HW40 at Circuit City for $2599 about a month ago and LOVE IT!!! The picture looked great right out of the box, even more so when calibrated using Avia.

The high-def picture is simply amazing!

I had researched many, many sets...and finally settled on the Sony for various reasons. The Sony XBR has a nicer cabinet, but the $2K additional cost isn't justified for just an over-the-air HD decoder.

If you buy this set, you WON'T be disappointed.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you are using a large screen display for DVD's, would you consider a Panasonic AE100 projector? This is what I'm deciding between buying some time this year. Who knows if something comes out later this year that changes my short list:

1) Panasonic AE100 LCD projector. Huge screen size

2) Pioneer SD533HD RP HDTV

3) Sony KP51 or 57 HW40

The Panasonic projector is really inexpensive and give you a huge screen size. Its not truely HD, but its very good value for the money.

Just wondering whether you've considered it as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks