What's new

Sony KP-46WT500 vs. KP-46WT510 (1 Viewer)

SteveMarcR

Grip
Hey everyone...

Has anyone heard about the differences between the two Sony models. I have found some specs from the Sony website, but they didn't seem very accurate.

I was told that the local big screen TV dealer would have stock on Aug 11. And that it would sell for $1698 (the same price as he was currently selling the 500.

If anyone knows the difference between the two models (and if it would be worth the likely 200-300 dollar price difference), I would be most interested.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

SteveMarcR

Grip
I was made aware that the 510 is replacing the 500 model, but that, so far, is the only thing I've heard.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on these Sony models vs. the Panasonic PT-47WX53?

I saw them both displayed and they both looked pretty spectacular. Just wondering if anyone had a preference one way or the other.

Again, thanks,
Steve

Anthony Sah

Auditioning
did i make a mistake i just baght the 500 and its coming tommorow, all i will be doing is watching dvds and regular cable so is it ok, or will the 510 have a better picture, should return the 500 in a couple months and get the 510, i need your opinions on the 500 and if is not as good as in picture quality to the 510

thanks
anthony

Richard-Tien

Auditioning
I talked to sony reps since I have been researching this extensively also and found that the 510 upconverts 720p signals to 1080i. The 500 downconverts this 720p to 480p.

This is was important enough for me to wait on purchasing one.

Richard-Tien

Auditioning
He said in the next few weeks. I didn't actually ask about any other specs than the upconversion/downconversion issue. I guess that was all that really mattered to me at that point.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Sony KP-46WT500 in February and it's eating at me to know that there is a better model out there, but that is life especially in technology. So I had to see how much better it is. I went to Sony's website and got this info and it is confusing they mention both models.

"Indulge in Hi-Definition as it reaches new heights with Sony’s KP-46WT500 16:9 Hi-Scan® Projection Television. Watch its 16:9 Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display and experience the benefits of our features in action. You’ll get precise focus and sharpness as a result of our HD Microfocus CRT and Lens while you enjoy amazing picture resolution made possible with Digital Reality Creation™ Circuitry. In addition, you can see two programs at once by adjusting size and placement of side-by-side P&P with MID™ X Circuitry. More features include Manual and Flash Focus® convergence for precise and accurate adjustment and a DVI-HDTV input which secures access to High Definition content. The KP-46WT510 – truly enticing television."

I don't know what to make of this.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It looks like the 510 has manual convergence available in the user menu and converts 720p to 1080i.

To the best of my knowledge the 500 requires you to go into the service menu to do manual convergence, and downconverts 720p to 480p.

While the availability of manual convergence in the use menu may be a plus for those wary of the service menu, the conversion issue is a non issue as every available HD tuner box out there will convert 720p to 1080i, and only 2 networks are using 720p anyway. Both of the HD boxes I've had experience with (Hughes E-86 and Sony HD-200) do such a good job of the conversion that one can't tell it from native 1080i.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks