What's new

SOny going Hybrid and Dark Side confirmed on SACD (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Okay, now I understand.

I don't know what amount, if any, of DSOTM's release was paid for by Sony, but it is strictly on the Capitol label and listed as made by Capitol (although the US discs are made in Japan).

Joel

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael asked:

I'm beginning to doubt Sony's sincerity about hybrids.... Why isn't their one yet?
As I understand it, Sony's first hybrids will be the 15 Bob Dylan titles announced at CES, which aren't expected to hit store shelves until the fall.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I guess I am not the typical music buyer. Let's see how many copies of Dark Side of the Moon I have:
* Old Capitol CD (bought in 1988; U.S. pressing)
* MFSL gold CD
* 20th anniversary CD
* 1992 Capitol remaster
* SACD/CD hybrid
I also have a sealed copy of the 8-track tape, but I guess that doesn't count since it is sealed. So, I only have five different digital versions. That's not too bad, is it? :rolleyes:Now I just need to get the Harvest first pressing (CD). :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah but Lee i think the real issue is that sony should be producing ONLY hybrids, by not producing hybrids theya re continuing to leave confusion in the market place, its just abd marketing, if other labels can make hybrids why cant sony?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Furthermore, are Sony & Universal acting in concert on their continued single-layer releases? It's pretty obvious what Universal's philosophy about hybrids is. Universal releases most stuff that appeals to the younger set, the presumed file traders, on single-layer. Stuff they believe appeals to the "better" half of the flock proably gets hybrid treatment. Sony & Universal are poisoning the market with their single-layer discs. I wonder if SACD as a product can survive their merde?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
if other labels can make hybrids why cant sony?
Well for starters the audiophile labels do smaller production runs in terms of number of units. We are missing a key piece of data here - what the economics of producing all future albums in hybrid would be to Sony. It might be so large a cost that today it is not economic, or it may represent a smaller cost and be a good investment. I am sure Sony would want to and has studied it closely.

They be trying to build grass roots support in audiophiles and fans of classic rock before they undertake this.

They could also be waiting for more production capacity.

We do know the costs of a hybrid are not only production - disc replicating - but an additional mastering process.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Yeah but Lee i think the real issue is that sony should be producing ONLY hybrids, by not producing hybrids theya re continuing to leave confusion in the market place, its just abd marketing, if other labels can make hybrids why cant sony?
BINGO!

John's post is dead on. Sony from day 1 should have been producing hybrid discs. There is no reasonable discussion on why they couldn't/haven't/shouldn't. Sony promoted this concept (which is great), but left it to the small labels to run with it? Nonsense.

Sony has no excuse, especially because they could have had this capability from day 1 at DADC.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yeah Brian, go boy!!! Last time I was at Busted Buy I got the various artists album Celebrating The Music Of Weather Report from Telarc. It's a hybrid, multichannel disc and it cost me $15.99. Sony's latest single-layer releases cost $19.99. I think this forum should boycott Sony & Universal single-layer discs. I am already. I've had enough of Sony's baloney.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I think this forum should boycott Sony & Universal single-layer discs. I am already. I've had enough of Sony's baloney.
I agree Rachael. I have not been picking up any Sony SACD for the time being due to all of their discs being single layered, and their ridiculous MSRP. Sony hasn't been setting the world on fire with their releases to date this year either. I think between them and Warner, they are trying to kill their respective formats. I have been picking up Universal single layer discs though, only because you can get them for 12.99 with free shipping from Circuit City. If Sony wants to put SACD flyers in all of their discs touting Hybrid ability, they better damn well deliver. Until then, they will not be getting my money.

J

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I haven't gone so far as to boycott SACD from Sony (I've always favored SACD).

But, if a title is a hybrid that I like, it's a must buy. Non-hybrid discs, if not too interested, it's a pass.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I understand the frustration with fewer hybrids on the market, but this seems an extreme statement to me. sony could be facing huge costs to actually do this.
Nonsense Lee.

I support SACD, and have always since day 1 over DVD-A, primarily because of the Hybrid scenario.

If costs played into it, Sony had no business spouting off about this feature as much as they have. Period. And if they're worried about costs, they shouldn't be launching a new format and promising stuff they can't deliver.

Besides, if these little ('scuse the expression) companies can find replication plants that can do it, costs both from a replicator and a publisher obviously aren't that big.

Laziness is what this is, if not being super-cheap.

"Geez, let's launch a format that could win over consumers because it's backwards compatible. Oh, but we won't support backwards compatibility for a few years..."

Genius, pure genius.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
couldn't they have put out at least one measly Hybrid disc by now?
They did! It's called Dark Side of The Moon! They paid for production so it is in fact a Sony hybrid...

I think Sony is genius in supporting bigger titles at the cost of their own titles, because creating "case studies" of format success can be an even powerful marketing weapon.

And we have Jefferson Airplane and Bob Dylan to look forward to.

And we may yet see all new releases in hybrid. I just don't think its fair to criticize Sony if you don't know the internal business strategy or total costs of producing such an effort.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, the suggestion that enormous costs for Sony are a factor is daft! It's obvious that Sony & Universal wish they could lead the market away from PCM. It's obvious they wish that SACD single-layer was a vehicle to do so. These lugs don't know when to quit. I have to question Sony's commtment to the their own bleeding format! Stand-alone players are hard to buy and their single-layer discs can be hard to play. Maybe all they really care about is pro end of DSD. Maybe, pleasing the end customer is of little importantance? Actions speak louder than words. Sony & Unversal look like an arse, talk like an arse, and smell like arses. Therefore they must be arses, eh?
It's also evident that Sony is trying to use SACD to bolster it's sagging marketshare of the DVD player market. Here, they have a new format and they promptly discontinue most of the hardware. Sony used to have 20+% of the DVD player market. They're in the midst of a slow, steady decline in marketshare. They steadfastly refuse to suppourt DVD-A compatiability with their DVD products which IMO hurts them at the cash register. Sony is in the position to make the ultimate universal player IMO and just won't.
Their, Sony's, marketing schemes have more holes than swiss cheese. I absolutely question everything Sony does! From where I sit they don't appear very clever.
P.S.- I remember the original print ads for SACD. The hybrid discs was what I thought would/could propel the format...yeah:frowning: !

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I want everybody to close their eyes and imagine on this one...;) What if the day that DSOTM came out, that the Sony 775 5-disc changer had been in plentiful supply at the usual outlets, how many would of sold that day? People were all over the forums that week asking what am I going to play DSOTM on? What if?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
And we may yet see all new releases in hybrid. I just don't think its fair to criticize Sony if you don't know the internal business strategy or total costs of producing such an effort.
Humor us Lee, with some pearls of your business strategy wisdom. Sony is getting every bit of criticism that they deserve. They try to pimp Hybrid discs at every corner whether it is single layer discs with inserts mentioning Hybrids or every damn SACD related press conference with Kawakami spouting the same tired lines(strategy getting a bit bit old now Sony), then they don't deliver.

Honestly it seems like Sony doesn't want people to have Hybrids, becasue they will run into the same pirating issues as before. I can respect this position, but if true they need to keep their hybrid lapdogs in the kennel.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael said:
It's pretty obvious what Universal's philosophy about hybrids is. Universal releases most stuff that appeals to the younger set, the presumed file traders, on single-layer. Stuff they believe appeals to the "better" half of the flock proably gets hybrid treatment.
Yes, but one Diana Krall SACD is a single-layer disc (When I look in your eyes, while the other is a hybrid (The Look of Love). Also John Coltrane A Love Supreme is a single-layer disc. Sadly, I don't think Coltrane generally appeals to the "younger set". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks