What's new

Sony DVPS755 Problem? (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I just recently went from a 36" Sony Wega to a 57" Sony RPTV Widescreen.

With this purchase, I decided to go from my Sony S7700 to a newer progressive scan video player.

I didn't have the cash to get the exact model I wanted (along the lines of my 7700) so I swung for a high end of the low end Sony Progressive DVD Players, the DVPS755.

This does SACD and Progessive scan.

But I'm having a weird issue that is driving me nuts. I'm trying to find out if it's the player.

hooked directly from the DVD player to the RPTV using three non Component Video specific cables (monster interconnects) I get a little 'wiggly' at the top of the screen. While attempting to watch Monsters Inc (without going insane seeing it, didn't bother my guests thougH) there was a constant 'wiggle' at the top 1" or so of the screen.

I reseated cables, etc, but still doing it.

Anyone else have the 755? Is it my cables? What's doing this?

Thanks

Tom (wishing I'd waited and bought the player I wanted really)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though much cheaper than the old 7700, the 755 is actually a superior player capable of much better performance. The current equivalent to your 7700 is the forthcoming flagship player, the DVP-N999ES.

Just because the 755 is cheaper than your old 7700 doesn't mean it's inferior.

As to your situation, I'm confused by the following statement:

What sort of cables are you using? What do you mean by "non Component Video specific cables"?

Use Y-PbPr-type cables when connecting to the corresponding inputs on your RPTV.

And I'm not quite sure what you're seeing onscreen? What exactly is "wiggling"?

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I didn't have a specific comopnent video cable, so I used a L/R channel cable, and a single rca connector cable.

I'm going to order a whole new cable set from catcables within the next week or so, didn't want to waste any extra money.

Wiggling might be better described as a jitter, it's probably the top 1" of the screen, just enough to make the tops of heads in some close ups jiggle. I'm going to watch a few more movies and see if it's all films, or if it was Monster inc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Let me get this straight: Are you using standard composite-video cables? And if so, are you connecting them to the correct inputs on the monitor? You are not trying to connect the composite cables to the component-video inputs, are you?

Sorry for misunderstanding what you're saying, but I'm still not clear.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think what he is saying is that he did NOT have a set of component cables, so he used a standard audio interconnect pair for two, and a single for the remaining line.

I do not know if component cables are just 3 normal 75 Ohm cables jacketed together, but if so, I would say he should be OK.

Tom, I would be curious if you get the same result with an S Video connection or a composite connection (I would expect your player came with one or the other).

If so, its obviously not a cable issue.

My guess is the set needs a bit of service menu tweaking, but you will need to do a bit more t-shooting to know for sure. I suppose it could also be the player, so testing the player on another set or another player on this set may also be in order.

Good Luck,

Brian

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think the video cable on one of these A/V interconnects is 75ohm, but the left and right audio cables may not be.

I would try real component video cables first, then another player.

If this wiggling or jittering at the top of the screen were a problem with the set itself I would expect to see it on other sources too.

As a general rule, a problem that only happens with one source is not usually the fault of the display device.

In the past there were a few compatibility issues between some progressive scan players and some tvs that were related to the set and not cabling or the player--Early Hitachi HD-ready sets had problems accepting 480p from progressive scan players and Hitachi came up with a service bulletin.

These difficulties have since been ironed out and most any player will work well with most any set.

Since this is a wiggle or flutter and not a stationary bend in the picture which would indicate a geometry problem with the set, and only appears on dvd and not other sources, the last thing I would suspect is a problem with the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks