What's new

Sony DVP-S9000ES vs Sony DVP-NS900 (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
How come the DVP-NS900 basically has the same features as the DVP-S9000ES but the DVP-S9000ES is nearly twice the price of the DVP-NS900? What does the DVP-S9000ES have that makes it worth twice the price?

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I haven't seen the 900 yet, but I own the 9000ES.

The 9000ES was the first Sony progressive player and like other things Sony (or so I'm told) the first edition is built like a tank and of relatively high quality.

Since it's an ES item, it also carries a 5 year warranty.

The difference in actual street price is about $200-$300 from what I've seen quoted.

I love the 9000ES. It looks great and works great. When it first came out, it was possibly the best of the best under $2K. Minor warts aside, it's still not far off the pace and there's that warranty and build quality.

That said, if I were currently shopping and choosing between these 2, I'd probably lean toward the 900. The multi-channel SACD is a plus and it's a generation newer in its progressive scan technology.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Haris, of course, feature set does not necessarily reflect on quality. That is not to say that the 'NS900V is a bad player. It is a good player, but is not built to the standards of the 'S9000ES. The 'S9000ES weighs about 27.5 lbs., which is a reflection of the power supplies used and chassis construction. I don't know how much the 'NS900V weighs, but it is much lighter than the 'S9000ES. Although I have not heard the two players in a true A/B sense, I would not expect the 'NS900V to compete with the 'S9000ES from an audio standpoint. The 'S9000ES is quite good in that department. As Jim said, the 'NS900V could very well be better on the video side of the equation since progressive-scan technology seems to change so fast.

As far as other explanations for the difference in price between the two players, Jim covered those matters well. In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either player. With the 'S9000ES, you get first-rate construction, good video quality, excellent audio quality, and the five-year warranty. With the 'NS900V for bit less money, you get multi-channel SACD and possibly better video performance. If it were my money, I'd get the 'S9000ES.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure both players use the same Genesis chipset and, the S9000ES also offers two channel SACD playback.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I think I understand your point above, but one could come away from your post thinking that the 'NS900V does not play SACDs at all. Of course, it plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. ;)

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip, I think I understand your point above, but one could come away from your post thinking that the 'NS900V does not play SACDs at all. Of course, it plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. "
Keith, I don't how one would think that, as you already mentioned it is a multi channel SACD player. I only said the 9K playes two channel SACD's because it wasn't mentioned above. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks