What's new

Sony DA5ES almost makes its rated output?! (1 Viewer)

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
One of these just arrived in my HT last week. I chose it over the Denon 3802 assuming that the Denon amps would be better but preferring the crossover, inputs, video bandwidth and warranty that the Sony offered (all more useful later when used as a pre/pro). It now looks like I may not have given the Sony amps enough credit according to a post in this thread . I can't wait to get my hands on this article. This will have to be the first HT-related mag I've purchased in years, since the article doesn't seem to be on the website. Anyone else seen the article? Is this particular mag usually accurate and reliable on this type of thing?
Edit: it looks like the article was actually on the 3ES, but I think their amp sections are the same.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I am glad to hear this since I just ordered a 5ES as well, will be here next Thursday and I can't wait.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I worked on a friend of mine's system with a 3ES, and I have to say that it has plenty of clean power. Sound is very good, but I found the "configurability" to actually be TOO much. Flexibility is a good thing, but it takes quite a bit of time to sift through the various, numerous tweaks, IMO.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brett, the amp sections probably are the same on the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. The power supplies could be slightly different since the 'DA3ES is rated at 100W x 6 into 8 ohms and the 'DA5ES is rated at 110W x 6 into 8 ohms. In any event, I would fully expect the 'DA5ES to measure out as well as the 'DA3ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks