What's new

Sony CEO sees ‘stalemate’ in disc fight (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Let me clarify a few things first.
1. If you were to go thru my PC's hardware list and read up a little bit on each component I have, you shall find that they are all rated as some of the best PC components in their category.
2. I have not overclocked any component in my PC.
3. It's only been about four weeks since I got my 24" Dell monitor and since I have Windows Vista on my PC for now, I have not had a chance to experience gaming at 1920x1200 on Windows XP yet. I know, I know, but it's just a phase. Every few months I reinstall Vista just to see if Microsoft fixed any of it, but each time it seems like the same crap it was when I first installed it a yr ago. Anyhow after a few days of misery on the PC I generally reformat and install Windows XP SP2 with my own unattended Windows XP SP2 DVD. Anyhow, lately I have not had the time to remake my unattended DVD and reformat, thus I have been living with Vista last few weeks.

I seriously suggest you try 'Lost Planet' at 1920x1200 with the high settings or even mid level settings and see what kinda perfomance you get and this is with Direct-X 9. With Direct X 10 you can totally forget about any kind of satisfactory gamig performance. You might want to try the 'Crysis' demo too.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
First of all I know what it cost me to build my PC and believe me it cost a whole lot more than the PS3. As a matter of fact the graphics card alone almost cost as much as 80% of what I paid for the PS3. The whole point of listing out the individual components of my PC, was to highlight the fact that I have a well above average PC, which cost quite a bit of money. More importantly, that in the end, I am still unable to get a totally satisfying gaming experience with it. Actually things seemed ok with Windows XP on my 19" monitor and games running at 1280x1024, but then I had to go buy the 24" monitor and everything went kaput. I guess I will have to upgrade that cheap graphics card I bought for $398 a couple of months ago, before canhope to run 'Lost planet' with some decent settings in 1920x1200.

As mentioned in my earlier post I have a 24" monitor, but even then it is seriously dwarfed by the 55" TV I have. By the way I paid 1.5 times for that montior than I did for the PS3.

As for the 'game controller' issue, that one I will grant you I have not investigated them too much and for all I know they are probably similiar to to the controller that comes with a console. But there you go again, more money. Because using the keyboard and mouse really sucks, atleast IMHO.

Regarding the games not running smooth, please refer to my post before this one.

Tons of people go around complaining about the cost of a PS3, I wonder how they would feel about paying at the very least 4 - 5 times the PS3's price for a half decent gaming experience on PC.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The cost of the development kits has little to no impact on the developers. A few thousand dollars one way or the other does not effect the bottom line on the multi-million dollar development cost of most modern games.

More important than the cost of the development kit is how robust the libraries are that come with the kit. In that, Sony has a long way to go to catch up to MS. This is certainly one of the reasons most developers talk about the ease of coding on the360 vrs. the PS3.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Guys, please. It's bad enough that gaming consoles are involved in this 'war', but does every discussion have to revolve around gaming? This is the HD Software forum. No offense, but some of us don't like the fact that a lot of HDM discussions end up being two sets of gaming platform fans battling it out in a playground pissing match. If you want to do that, the Gaming forum is down the page. And if I wanted to see a rumble between the Sharks and the Jets, I'd watch West Side Story, because frankly, none of you are as good looking as Natalie Wood. :angry:

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

Of course you are right. We should not take over this tread with these kinds of arguments. Sorry everybody. Lets just agree to disagree.

Side note though...gaming is "HD software" now :) so it kind of does fit in this forum :)

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

I know Warhawk is supposed to be a good multiplayer experience. Halo has so much depth and handily crafted balance. The matchmaking, and the party system is one of the most intuitive things to come to multiplayer. The rankings and levels give it a good sense of accomplishment on top of just plain having fun.

Also, the story is fricken sweet. EPIC.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I fully agree. But I can´t just be "silent" if/when these anti-PS3 remarks are said in these various threads.. "PS3 this", PS3 that"... It´s like if people who actually *OWN* the damn machine don´t know their own console or something. Some people have to state how "wrong Sony´s strategy is", "how gamers hate the PS3 games" and "most people with PS3 doesn´t know that´s it´s also a BD-player"..

Seriously, what happen to the FACT that all game consoles have their own advantages? PS3 has "everything" in one package (and Blu-ray), Xbox 360 has the best/largest selection of games (and optional HD DVD if you want it) and Wii is just cool and basic game console with Mario/motion censor, etc.

Seriously (again): Why this hate towards some freaking game console(s)? You don´t like it - don´t buy it. If you only want to diss some console and spread the "bad word", do it in the other forums ("15-years-old-gaming-smackdown-forum").

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

Actually you could be silent; but, in reality, you don't need to be silent. You just ought to be vocal in the appropriate area of the forum, and, in so doing, respecting your fellow users who rely on the topical organization created for the forum. It's the online equivalent of "taking this out to the parking lot."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I don´t "love" electronics. Eventually, they all will be replaced in time. "Be vocal in the appropriate area of the forum" sounds good to me - as long as some other people in this thread will do the same.

But I agree, we should steer this topic back to HD-formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks