What's new

Sony CEO sees ‘stalemate’ in disc fight (1 Viewer)

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
In theory they already own a PS2, but having to resort to using the old one bytes eh?

I talked to a Best Buy employee, and said alot of people still go for the 80 gig because of the backwards compatibility. I'd be curious to know which system still sells more.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
1. Smaller hard drive.
2. USB ports reduced to 2 from 4
3. 'Removed' CompactFlash/SD Memory Card/Memory Stick Duo card reader.
4. All hardware/software support for the PS2 removed.
5. SACD support removed. (presumably DSS decoding chip removed)
6. 65-nm chips (The 80GB PS3 still uses the 956-nm chips)
7. Bundled Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray disc (80GB PS3 comes bundled with Motorstorm game).

Serega_M

Agent
Guys, I don't want to start a flame war here and being offtopic, but since basically last two pages people are discussing PS3 and xBox 360 here praising the gaming experience, and Call of Duty 4 especially - I have a question - why you won't play it on the good PC then? :) I am sure that on my PC with nVidia 8800 it is playing as good if not better (than game boxes) in 1920x1200 resolution on my 26" Nec display. I do understand the reason to buy game machine for exclusive titles which are not available on PC - but come on, do you seriously think that game machine with fixed hardware and no way for serious upgrade is better than hi-end PC? I am just curious, as personally I do not understand the need to buy a gaming machine to play good games :)

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Right on dude.

I don't care about PC gaming, because consoles fit my needs a little more.

However, what's the point of arguing wheter PS3 or 360 is better when the PC can dominate either. Well, it's much more expensive to eclipse the power of the consoles.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
My PC configuration:

Cooler Master: Cavalier - Cabinet
Cooler Master iGreen 600W Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (rev. 1.1) - Intel P35 chipset Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 CPU
OCZ Reaper HPC 4x1024 DDR2 1066Mhz (4GB RAM)
XFX 8800GTS 320MB Extreme Graphics card. (Overclocked to 560 Mhz version)
DELL 2407WFP-HC (24" 16:10 Monitor, 1920x1200 native resolution)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB, 16MB cache, SATA 2 Hard Disk

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

Just say you like playing on a PS3 better and be done with it. Your arguments make no sense and are misleading (as I am sure most will see).

All gaming platforms have their place. One is not better or worse then the other.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Better check your facts. Call of Duty 4 is native 720p on both the 360 and PS3 and runs at a solid 60 FPS on both systems. The 1080p is just an upconversion and nothing more.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Couple of problems here. As when HD has a few good weeks against BD, a single week of still third place does not show any shift. Sony will have to duplicate it many times over to show any statical change. One would expect the first week on sales of a new lower priced PS3 to show a marked improvement in numbers. The question is whether or not Sony will be able to maintain. It is even worse for Sony in the US where Sony has little hope of overtaking the 360 in Holiday sales. As the US is over 50% of the gamming business, this does not make the holiday season look very good for the Sony gamming division.

As far as what Sony says it will have sold be March 08, well, let's just say that Sony's estimates have been a joke up until now. Not likely they will be any different in the future.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Go figure. A company that is PS3 exclusive in the console realm says the PS3 is superior to the 360. :laugh:

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I could probably play Halo3 for years and never get bored. Afterall, Halo 2 never really got boring.

Multiplayer has amazing value. Xbox Live dominates anything else as far was online play, a communication. Very intuitive. It's pretty much a subculture now.

Ryan

Grip

I'm not a gamer myself, but from what I understand the processor in the PS3 is much more powerful than anything you can get in a PC.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

This is true. However, from what I've heard, the Cell Processor is not really optimized for video game performance, and thus is harder to program for.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Theoretical and listed specifications have little to do with practical capabilities and limitations of a processor. From a raw processing stand point, both processors have pretty equivalent power. From a coding perspective, the 360's standard processor is much easier to code to, and like the PS3, the multi-core processing capabilities of the 360 have yet to be tapped.

Serega_M

Agent
Sanja, some of your points are valid and understandable to me, but most are not, at least for me. And, btw, if your Windows crash - blame it on the bad/overclocked hardware and not the OS itself, as my Win XP Pro SP 2 has never crashed on me running on quality hardware (mostly ASUS) in its native (not overclocked) mode. Also, I can not take seriously your comment about not smooth gaming in 1920x1200 native display resolution mode, as I am experiencing wonderful gaming on my 8800 GTS in this mode, and I am talking about maximum quality settings (most of the time) on the latest engines, like Half-Life 2: Episode Two (uses latest version of Source), or Stranglehold (uses modified Unreal Engine 3). Heck, even BioShock (which is notorious for its high hardware demands) on the maximum quality settings with extremely wonderful grpahics (Unreal Engine 3 as well) is slow just a little and only in some areas, while the most of the game is running smoothly. Too bad that the game itself is overproduced crap, but that is the whole different story :) So, honestly I can not understand why you have such problems with the games' performance on your system, and it is very well known (and has been pointed by others) that many console games rendering graphics in the lower resolution (which, of course, is easier - i.e. - speedy ;)) and then the box upconverts it to Full HD ot whatever. And on PC I am talking about NATIVE 1920x1200 resolution which is even better than HD :) Also, when the ninth generation of graphics processors will become available next year (at least from nVidia) - you can easily change your present card to the next one and gain even more powerful graphics, while with gaming box you'll need to wait another 4-5 (at least) years till the new generation of hardware will be available to your (and game developers) disposal while for all of these years you are basically stuck with one hardware configuration. Clear disadvantage to me. And also - I will take keyboard + mouse as controller anytime, which is not so with gaming boxes joysticks :) But - this is a matter of taste and habit, I guess :)

As about Ryan's comment that Cell processor is much more powerful than Intel ones, actually - I really doubt it, at least in comparison with the most advanced and powerful ones. And even if it is so presently, you can always buy Duo/Quad core processors for PC, or make dual processor system if you need so much of raw power, but usually you do not need to, and with my Intel Core 2 Duo running on 2.6 Ghz I am feeling myself just fine playing all of the latest games smoothly :) Once again, if I'll need to - I could easily buy a better processor in the future and replace my present one without any trouble, while with PS3 you can not do such procedure :) Anyway, just my two (or, probably, more)cents :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Why would I play CoD on my PS3 and not my PC (assuming I had a PC that would run it)? Very simple: 17" monitor and dinky little speakers in my cheap desk chair vs. 65" TV and 5.1 channel Yamaha/ Paradigm HT setup on my sofa.

There's also the fact that a PC that plays CoD as smoothly as my PS3 would cost as much as my PS3 and my 65" tv combined.

I still play games on my PC, just not as much.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Good points. I have heard from FOAF developers that they WAY prefer coding for the X360 to coding for the PS3.

On the other hand, I read earlier today that Sony just halved the price of the PS3 development hardware and made available more PS3 development software tools in an attempt to attract more small developers. Bodes well for the future.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Um. . .he was asked why he liked playing on the PS3 better. And his arguments were pretty reasonable.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with PC gaming!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

This is true, but in the near future when lots of jaw-droppingly beautiful 1080p games are common on the PS3 and X360, the difference in graphics between them and the Wii is going to be much greater than the difference between the consoles in the last generation.

But I agree that gameplay is king over graphics (which is something that's been driving me nuts for years, because the average developer seems to have other ideas!).

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

I agree there is nothing wrong with either PC or PS3 or 360 or Wii gaming. They are all great.

BUT his arguments were not reasonable imho. He says in bold "huge amount of extra money" for pc gaming is simply wrong. The cost of PC gaming is not as much as you both seem to think. You can get a good PC gaming machine for a great price these days and, like the PS3, it can do so much more than gaming.

Also, if you only have a 17 inch monitor to game on no wonder you do not like PC gaming. It is like saying you don't like HD movies because there is no difference between watching HD and SD content on your 17 inch black and white tv. You can get widescreen 22 inch/24 inch monitors for dirt cheap (compared to what they used to be) in todays market. (You can also get a very good PC sound setup for cheap as well.)

There many more flaws in his argument (no go PC game controllers, mouse and keyboard being bad, games not being smooth, ect) but that is enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks