What's new

Sony C222ES discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Does anybody know if the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player has been discontinued? I am thinking of getting one and am wondering if they are still going to be around.

Mark

george king

Supporting Actor
to the best of my knowledge the 222es has not been discontinued (My local Ultimate has a bunch of them), but that the 555ES has been.

Hope this helps.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Well I just called Oade and they said it was discontinued. Onecall doesn't have any more in stock, and J&R has 2 left but they want $450 for one.

I should have bought one when they were selling for $325!

Mark

george king

Supporting Actor
If it is then it is recent. I was in Ultimate this weekend, as they were having a sale. I was looking at the 222es, but they wanted $450, and said they had a bunch in the back.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sound Pros in San Diego has them for $380. Shipping to Tennessee was $35. I'm very happy with mine...got it last week. Go for it!

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Wife and I decided we needed a 2nd 222ES for upstairs and called Oade. They were out. I found one locally for $425, but it was the last one they had.
Grab them while you can, there is nothing comparable coming...

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Oade was pushing the DVP-NC555P-ES (or something like that) as a replacement. It is a 5 disk changer in the ES line with DVD/CD/SACD playback. They said they would have them in a couple of weeks priced at $450 or so.

I would rather have an audio-only unit in black, which is why I am looking for the 222ES. But they said the new model would have the next generation SACD section. I wonder if it will be any better.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Does the 222ES allow you to do bass management for multichannel SACDs? Thanks.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the confirmation and qualification on the BM issue. I think I'll wait another generation before buying, let the manufacturers work out the kinks. I only have one SACD anyway, and my RP91 plays the few DVD-As I have well, so it's not a big deal for me right now. And I want to get a Uni player eventually because my receiver has only one set of 5.1 inputs.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Carlo, the bass management on SCD's 775, 222, 555, and XA777 are all basically the same. They're worlds ahead of what's in an RP91 (I's got one), but stille hardly what we all really want. The 222 is a terrific stereo SACD player, as good if not a little better than the Denon 2900 IMO. I'm curious if BM in Sony's new DVD/SACD will really be any better? It's crazy to be doing bass-management in players in the first place, IMO. Thank the Big "paranoid" FIVE for bass-management problems. I haven't done M/C with my 222 yet and may not...I bought it for stereo...but with an Outlaw BM I suspect it would perform very well. Other folks have said as much.... Best wishes!

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely discontinued. Our local Sound Advice stores had a "Scratch & Dent" sale this weekend. They're clearing out all their display units and discontinued products to make way for the next wave. I bought the last boxed unit in stock. At a total price of 350.96, I believe I got a pretty good deal despite having a manufacturing date of July 2001.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I got mine on Monday. Sammans actually didn't have it but they put me in touch with an outfit that did (Uncle Stereo). From looking around it seems that US has a somewhat sketchy reputation but they were very nice over the phone (which isn't something I can say about some of the better thought of mail order places) and they shipped very promptly.

So far I am pleased with the player but I need to do some more listening. One question tho - is it normal for the player to make a couple of clicking noises when it is pulling the drawer back in?

Mark

Mike_S.

Auditioning
Well, I bought a SCD-C222ES back in June.

Its now in the shop. :frowning:

It was working fantastic then one night, I turned it on and went to play the discs I had loaded.

A rotating spining image came up on the screen and it jumped to a random song on the disc. I would then go to the next song and it would jump to a random track again. Sometimes, it will even skip to another disc.

Major problem. Called Sony. Did all there "did you try this" things. Nada.

Gave me an address for an authorized repair shop here in Houston.

Its a bummer. Its been in since last Thursday. Might be back by the end of the week but more likely next week.

I miss being out playing SACD's.

Well, I do have my Sony 300 Disc DVD changer so I still have some entertainment. :)

Oh, I am new here. :)

Great forum. Look forward to contributing and discussing all things HT.

Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It is a real shame that Sony has discontinued the 'C222ES (after having discontinued the 'CE775 and 'C555ES last year). Now there are no audio-only SACD changers. :frowning: I wonder how the ES DVD/SACD changer will stack up.

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
How does the CE775 compare to the C222ES?

I'm asking because I was going to buy a C222ES next month, but I'm not counting on finding it from any reputable online dealers (unless Sound Pros still has it by then).

So I'll probably end up getting it used, or possibly new from ebay. I figure I might keep an eye out for the CE775 when the time comes, but I'd like to know in what ways is the C222ES better.

JackS

Supporting Actor
One Call has a SCDC-222es SACD player listed as " coming soon". Is this the same player that has been discontinued or is this a newer model altogether?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks