Sony SCD-C222ES discontinued in Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAG, Nov 18, 2002.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I visited the local Sony store today to check the latest pricing and availability. The last price was $1099 CDN, but stores no longer have it in stock. The C555 is still available, but at $1499 (plus tax).

I'm all for supporting the local economy, but when it costs $500 CDN more after taxes for either of these players than to have it shipped from the US...

The only issue is the warranty, for which the unit must be shipped back to an authorized service centre in the US.

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Support the local economy, but maybe not at the Sony Store. Other shops may have better prices, I'd hope.

-JNS

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jagan,

I don't live in Canada, but from everything I have read, good deals on ES SACD players are few and far between up there.

Chris,

It's amazing, but it seems that after adding on shipping, customs, etc., it is still much cheaper to get an ES SACD player from a US dealer. As far as I know, some US discount dealers still have the 'C222ES. The 'C555ES is disappearing down here, though.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I believe the retail prices for each player started out comparably, but Sony Canada did not follow Sony America's eventual price reductions. As a separate entity, they are free to set whatever price they want, even if it is completely uncompetative with the US. However, with Free Trade a reality and online shopping becoming more popular, they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyone interested in these players should act soon, before they are gone!