What's new

Sony Butchers Another Family Film! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The newly renamed studio, Sony Pictures Entertainment, has once again decided that family films don't deserve to be released in their original aspect ratio's, which shows disrespect to both the filmakers, and the viewers. They will be releasing Magic in the Water, but only in the notorious Pan and Scan format. I would really like to own this film, but not in Pan & Scan. It's coming Jan 4th. I urge everyone interested in this title to contact Sony Pictures Entertainment and voice their concerns.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Since they have recently changed their name to Sony Pictures Entertainment yet continue to make so many backwards moves is even more reason to boycott Sony electronics.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The fact that Sony is a leading consumer electronics company, trying to entice us to buy their spiffy new 16:9 TVs, makes it that much more dumbfounding when they fail to issue widescreen movies in their OAR.

Presumably they must think that families and children prefer 1.33:1 pan&scan, even if they own a widescreen TV. I'll bet that when Blu-ray comes along they'll make all family titles 1.78:1, even if the OAR is 2.35:1. Original 1.33:1 material will be cropped or vertically pan&scanned to fit 1.78:1.

The madness.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Honest-to-God, it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out with a new SE of OLIVER! in pan-and-scan. I know, I know...don't give them any ideas! Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall during executive meetings when they actually make these moronic decisions, and to see WHO makes them, so we'd know who to address the envelopes to...? But, no, they hide beneath this nebulous umbrella called "Market Research," which essentially blames the whole thing on consumers. If they (and other studios) hadn't ever started offering pan-and-scan DVD's, there'd be no issue and, I'd be very willing to bet, no loss of revenue. A gain, in fact.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I just sent the following e-mail to Sony:

[email protected]

Hello,

I was just looking at your upcoming DVD web site, and I noticed that Magic in the Water is going to be released to DVD next year. The info page for the DVD states that it will be released in Full Screen, and it fails to mention if a 16x9 widescreen version will be included. I really hope that it is just an ommission. I would really like to purchase this movie on DVD, but I will not purchase a film on DVD if it has been edited from the way it was shown in theaters. Why should I pay money for a movie that has
part of the image cut off? With so many people buying widescreen televisions you should know that most people today choose to buy widescreen DVDs. And SONY even sells widescreen televisions, so you should give the consumer a reason to buy your widescreen televisons. I would certainly not buy a widescreen television from a company who does not release ALL of it's movies in their original aspect ratios. I realize there is a small segment of the market that prefers fullscreen, but if you release a title with just that option, you are cutting out a large portion
of the buying market. Here are a few other Sony movies I have not been able to purchase because they are only available in Full Screen:

Matilda
Karate Kid (I will buy the upcoming Box Set if it's Widescreen)
The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
My Girl
My Girl 2
Master of Disguise
Annie Special Edition

I have also refused to buy these other Sony DVD's because I won't give my money to a studio that will not release ALL of it's films on DVD.

Spider-Man 2
Daddy Day Care
Final Fantasy
Maid in Manhatten
Men in Black

Other Studio's like Fox and Disney release DVD's with both formats included in one package, or they release seperate discs, so everyone is happy. Why can't you show the same repect for your films? You used to be a champion of the DVD format, but now you are dumbing it down and pandering
to the uninformed. Most of them would probably buy widescreen anyway if it's the only choice they had. But wouldn't it be easier to educate them with a demo of widescreen? Then they would happily choose to buy
widescreen.

We will see if they reply.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I thought the impending ’05 Special Edition release of Matilda would change their hearts about how important correct presentation of their catalogue titles is.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Columbia, or whatever they want to be called, and proven time and time again that they don't care what we think. There have been so many attempts at petitions, emails, online pleas for them to give us what they want, and every example has fallen on deaf ears.

To make matters worse, Sony, as an electronics company has a long history of doing things, "their own way", and going against the grain on things. They do not adopt other's technologies very well, and sometimes take their own boneheaded approach to things. Look at the Mini-disc failure, SACD, they refuse to adopt DLP, etc.

I realize that several times Sony has been an industry leader in a number of technologies, but its not from listening to what other people think. I've always considered Sony to be the "bully" of the electronics industry, and I see no reason to believe that they will change their ways as a movie studio.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I always wondered why they didn't try to revitalize the Beta format after buying Columbia Pictures.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There's a saying that "to Betamax" something is to obstinately refuse to license a format out to other companies, thus denying its chance for dominance and sealing its possible oblivion.

I.E. "Apple betamaxed the Macintosh by not licensing the OS out to other companies."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks