What's new

Sony 840 vs 5AES (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I am thinkin of upgrading from the 840 to the 5AES, BUT am not sure if the sound between the two will be that marked a difference? Bells and whistles I am not too interested in, but musically sound wise, will the better grade have a smoother sound to it?

Thanks in advance!

G2

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gary, the 'DA5ES will beat your 'DB840 for home theater and music. The ES receivers have better power supplies and better internal construction all-around. I once had the 'DB930, which preceded your 'DB840, and I upgraded awhile back to the 'V444ES. The difference in sound quality was substantial, especially with music. If you can swing the expense, get an ES receiver. As you may be aware, Sony dropped the retail price of the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES recently, and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) sells them for $599 and $849, respectively. J&R is an authorized Sony dealer.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks Keith, I was just searching around for some size specs and find that this rascal is 19 inches deep!

My 840 just cabinet is 14" deep that's not counting connectors or knobs, just the metal box...

19" is a bit much! Not sure if I'd be able to put that monster on top of my entertainment center...the cabling on the back of the 840 right now is about right, I'd have to pull the whole thing into the room to accomodate the receiver.

Hmmm but it does sound like a good improvement, have to think this one over some more, thanks for the J&R Tip!

G2

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gary, no problem. Glad to help. If the 'DA5ES is within budget, don't let furniture stop you from upgrading. I think you would be very happy with the ES unit, and I'm sure you can find a place for it.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I went to Home Depot and had two sheets of 3/4 Oak plywood ripped and built me a RPTV surround and placed my big stuff on the top and my DVD on the RPTV. I used solid Oak trim and it looks great. Stained it to match my two end units.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks