What's new

Sony 65XBR2 (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ok,
I don't have the 65XBR2, just a KP57HW40, it's smaller cheaper brother. I did not especially care for Sony's first generation widescreen rptvs, but this one is a big improvement. The DRC is much better, sharper and not blurry like the old ones. HD and DVD are stunning. This thing even looks good on cable, at least on the stronger signals.
I had an Hitachi 53UWX10B for a couple of weeks and had an issue with dark grays being greenish, as well as lots of digital artifacting on ntsc sources. The Sony is much much better.
The new generation sets have 2 sets of component inputs that will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, not just one like the earlier models.
I did a lot of shopping, and honestly feel these new generation Sonys are fully competitive with anything else out there-Toshiba, Mits, even non-Elite Pioneer.
I know that Toshiba is the darling around here, but I think the new Sonys are very much deserving of consideration.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Brian_J

Second Unit
I've seen it and while the salesman was downplaying the Sony's and trying to steer everyone towards a Mitsubishi Diamond it was clear to me that it was the best looking set in the store next to a Pioneer Elite, which it was close to a tie with.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve and Brian. I have a friend who may be able to get me one at cost, but that's still a few months away. Just thought if I could get one for about the same price as retail Toshiba and Mitsubishi's, it might be worth it. Thanks again.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Brian,
The new XBR2 models also have built in DirecTV-OTA HD digital tuners, so you won't have to get an STB as you would with the Tosh and Mits models. Since the cheapest STBs run around $500+$150 for the elliptical dish, factor this in to your cost comparison. I don't think Sony includes the elliptical dish, but you don't need one to get ota local HD signals.
If you are not interested in HD capability in the immediate future, consider the HW40 series, in 51 or 57 inch sizes. These have msrps more comparable to the Mits and Tosh sets.
Other than the built in HD tuner and an enhanced sound system I do not know what other differences there are between the XBR2 and HW40, except that there is no 65" in the HW series.
------------------
Steve S.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Other than the built in HD tuner and an enhanced sound system I do not know what other differences there are between the XBR2 and HW40
The biggest item of value is the presence of IEEE1394 w/ DTCP digital inputs, which may provide a measure of future-proofing. (See DVI/IEEE for Dummies thread for a primer) However being a first-generation set with this capability, I wouldn't be surprised at some incompatibilities regarding this input and future products, particularly in implementing some of the more sophisticated GUI / AV control functions ("HAVi", etc.). Supposedly there is a mechanism to update the firmware in this set so hopefully major incompatibilities could be addressed.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Stephen,
Thank you for correcting me!
------------------
Steve S.

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
Are ya'll still interested in knowing anything about this set? I just got one, and I might be able to answer a few questions depending on how technical they are.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks