Sony 65XBR2 & DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Jr, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Tom_Jr

Tom_Jr Auditioning

Oct 27, 2001
    I just recieved my Sony 65XBR2 but I am clueless on what progressive scan DVD player to purchase. I work at Circuit City and get a great discount there, so I'm trying to find a good one there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Jun 3, 2000
    I guess since you work at CC that where you bought your TV. I saw this TV at the NY Home Theater Show and fell in love with it. I want to buy a HDTV for my 30th B-day but the $5999 price tag is too steep. Trying to justify the reason for buying this instead of going with a less expensive brand like Mitsubishi or Samsung.

How does normal TV look? My wife watches alot of TV so if the picture looks worse I would never here the end of it.

I have been looking into the Denon progressive scan DVD player. I always bought Sony product but finally changed and bought the Denon 4800 receiver, so now I love Denon product. Also a friend of mine that used to install Home Theaters raves about Denon product.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    It's no longer necessary to spend big bucks on a progressive scan player.
    A Panasonic RP56 or one of the new JVC 60 series players will work beautifully with your set and retail for $229.
    If you can go down to a 57" screen size and don't mind buying a separate stb for HD, the Sony KP57HW40 set is great and can be had for $3199 at full retail. The built in HD tuner on the XBR2 is only for local ota HD, won't pick up DirecTV. STBS that will do both ota and satellite HD can be had for about $600.