Sony XBR6510W vs. Sony 65XBR2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob D, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Bob D

Bob D Extra

I am trying to decide between the Sony XBR6510W and the 65XBR2. I've read about the banding issues on the XBR6510W and have read a lot of positive reviews on the XBR2.
    I can get the XBR10W from my dealer at $3900. Couple that with Sony's current $500 dollar rebate and the net price is $3400. I can get the XBR2 for $4700. Is the XBR2 worth $1300 more than the XBR6510W? I know it has an integrated HDTV tuner but that is not a real big issue for me at this point being that I don't watch much television.
    I'm curious what everyone thinks regarding these two sets. What are the current "issues" regarding each in relation to performance, picture quality, know problems, etc. Thanks very much.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bob,
    I think the XBR10 only has one set of component inputs, while the newer model has 2 sets.
    The DRC is improved considerably on the newer generation Sonys. People have reported that the DRC on the lesser HW40 new models is better than on the XBR10.
    Once you've seen HDTV, you will want it. HBO has some worthwile programming in HD, and HD Net is progressing nicely.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bob,
    The DRC (doubling) on the newer model is much better, it has 3/2 pulldown which I think the xbr10 lacked, and it has 2 component inputs vs one. HDTV is eye candy, and there is programming from HBO, Showtime, and HDNet, so you aren't stuck with the same old sitcoms.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.