What's new

sonotube noise help (1 Viewer)

David_Lew

Stunt Coordinator
Under high volumes and low bass, I notice my tube is making noises. I was wondering what this could be. I usually don't turn it loud enough to have this happen but when I do, it's quite annoying.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
It is possible that your maxing out the sub's excursion limit. Mine bottoms out at high volumes on Episode I pod race scene.

David_Lew

Stunt Coordinator
Coming from the sonotube, not sure exactly where.
It's hard to describe, if I'm playing something with low bass, it's fine until I keep upping the volume and then it makes some noises so I let off until they're gone.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
It could be any number of things from the noise from the ports or the driver bottoming out or even the tube itself leaking air if its not sealed properly.

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
It's your sonotube ringing. You need to dampen the walls more. You can wrap it with dynamat or the equivalent. I find sealed sonotube designs have more of a problem with this.

SVS laminates their tubes to reduce this.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Andrew's got the right idea.

Check for EVERYTHING for air leaks... Use the smoke from a cigarette while the sub is playing. The air leak will deflect the smoke.

BTW it's not the tube itself ringing. Sonotube has a resonant frequency that's out of the passband where the sub is operating.

David_Lew

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I tested it again just now. It seems it's too light.
If I sit on it (190lbs), there's no more noises. When I look at it, the whole tube is moving. O boy, it kicks hard too :)
I found my new message chair

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks