What's new

Sonosub questions in MI... (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Can anybody tell me where to go about finding the tube around Detroit? I know, call local construction companies and whatnot, but I was hoping that someone would have an easier way. Lastly, i know that there are a million and one sonosub threads these days, but I don't plan on building a full-out-huge sub...just something that will do the job well...I haven't played with Adire's software yet, but could someone advise me as to what size I'll end up with? Say, an 18" tube, maybe 2.5 to 3 ft tall? What freq should I hope to hit, with proper tuning...and I haven't had any experience with DIY, so I don't know what to say about all the ports and stuff.
Some more questions: I hope to spend at max $200 on the sub, since I have other upgrades in line (receiver, speakers should total $800), so what type of driver would/should I be looking at? I know that a plate amp will cost $120, but I don't know how much the tube and MDF will cost (I have the university's wood shop at my disposal, so no tool costs, other than the cheap daily rate of the shop), so I don't know how much I'm looking at.
Maybe someone else has built an economy sonosub? Smaller driver, maybe 10" (hoping for 12"), PE amp $120...MDF and tube...is this a manageable dream for $200?
Thanks all, my apologies for adding to the newbie sonosub pile, but it's about time I start getting my details straight. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well if you up that amount to $250-$300 a Dayton DVC12" with the PE 300-792 would be doable.

Give Kyle at Acoustic Visions a call and see what he can do. He should be able to get you a DVC12", that amp and a 4" flared port kit for less than $250 including shipping. Maybe less. Then if you can keep cabinet material cost down and go with a cheap finish (or put a nice finish later when you have the money) you should be all set.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a 3 foot secton of 18 in tube i got mine at smede and son it was $6 a foot i it is in great shape or you can call smede and son the # is 937-8300 they are on ingster near i 96 or if you want to drive a little farther i will sell you what i have for $10 i live near 275 and i 96

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i can also throwe in some mdfb i dont know if i have enough for both endcaps but i do have some i will check
usaly a 4X8 sheet of 3/4 mdfb goes for 15 just to give you a referance

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Thanks Bryan! That length of tube sounds pretty close to what I'd be looking for, and since I'm a student at UM, I'll be visiting people in the coming weekends, I would be able to drop by pretty easily. I'll send you a PM shortly.
I'm still hoping to get some responses on what I should hope to get with those parameters...please. :) Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well with 3 feet of 18" you could build something more or less identical to one of my twins. Check out my website (see sig).

Does quite well in my parents room, and the other one absolutely pounds in my roommates small room. Sound quality wise, very close to my Tempest. I'd need quick A/B switching to tell the difference sound quality wise.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Cool....thanks Dustin, I was actually going through sites earlier today and looked over your subs already! I'm just not very aware of all the different drivers out there, and haven't had enough hands on experience to know what all the different specs mean. It's stuff that I'm interested in, especially being an engineer, but just haven't found time or the outlet for it. :)
Looks like the first paycheck of my few-hours-a-week job during the school year will go towards the sub...I'm looking for suggestions as to how to make the sub mobile...it will be moved occasionally, and I don't know how much it'll weigh, but I imagine it won't be light. heh, maybe I'll put it on it's side and roll it. ;) jp

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i can carry my sub and it is 5 ft long but i olny have dual endcaps and it lays in it side you can lay it on the side and use it as a tabble
here is a link to some pics of my half done sub all i need is the driver and to make the sock for the tube and the last coat of paint it is a metalic blue but it is not solid and to buld a tabble top too
http://www.geocities.com/theirishgon...?1026404988079

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
hmmmm...guess it isn't that heavy then. I suppose I could always install roller feet afterwards, if necessary.
Now I'm getting all anxious...no matter what I do now, I don't have the tools to do anything til the fall. But it's best I get everything straight earlier than later, right? :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's the big advantage of the sonotube. Light and strong (doesn't require bracing). I can easily man handle one of the twins by myself (one hand in the port and one hand on a leg). And it's easy to roll at an angle on the base plate as well. Haven't weighed it, but it has to be around 40lbs-50lbs.

The MDF boxes can easily get over 100lbs, but it's tough to get a sonotube over 75lbs (unless you start triple layering endcaps/baseplates and using dual drivers).

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Good to hear. Now, does anybody want to help me with some numbers, or will I have to find some time to play around with the software? I was going to do it at some point, but wanted some rough estimates first...ah well.

Bryan, get back to me on the tube.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

Just copy Dustin's Twins (Dayton DVC 12", PE amp, 4" flared port) and you'll be good to go.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks