Song of the South (1946) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am posting this here without judgment or commentary.

Attachments

• 5D05A612-F3D8-43D0-85E4-284001EE1929.jpeg
    5D05A612-F3D8-43D0-85E4-284001EE1929.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 226

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I am posting this here without judgment or commentary.

My family and I have been on that ride many times. I never thought it was racial in any way. But I guess if it reminds people of a movie that the company would rather forget, there's the company's justification for changing it.

I'm frankly more disturbed by the edits made to Dumbo!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have been on the ride but never saw the movie. If my memory is correct there are only characters from the cartoons on the ride. Nothing related to live action or the 'Tar Baby" that has been mentioned from the animated portion.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't think anyone thinks the ride itself is racist, but if they are going to ignore the movie, it doesn't really make sense to have a major ride based off of it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And what’s to become of James Baskett and his “Song of the South” performance which earned him an Honorary Oscar?

The plaudits for Mr. Sidney Poitier shall always remain just; but contrary to popular AMPAS legend, it was Mr. Baskett who became the first African-American male to receive the statue; albeit not competitive. Nonetheless, an Oscar is an Oscar; and an honorary for a single isolated performance is to be highly admired.

I would be very interested in learning how the family of James Baskett - and of today - feels about his performance being hidden away in juxtaposition to what the film, itself, represents in our ever more enlightening age.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And what’s to become of James Baskett?

An Honorary Oscar for his “Song of the South” performance. Yes, before there was Mr. Poitier, it was Mr. Baskett who became the first African-American male to receive the statue; albeit not competitive. Nonetheless, an Oscar is an Oscar; and an honorary for an isolated performance is to be highly admired.

I would be very interested in knowing how the family of James Baskett - and of today - feels about his performance being hidden away and in juxtaposition to what the film, itself, represents in our ever more enlightening age.

And of course, he appeared with the first black woman to win an Oscar: Hattie McDaniel. Funny this is flaring up just as the 1936 version of Show Boat got a Criterion Blu-ray; she was in that, too, with Paul Robeson, one of Walt Disney's earlier choices to play Uncle Remus.

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It looks like Instagram to me.

My family and I have been on that ride many times. I never thought it was racial in any way. But I guess if it reminds people of a movie that the company would rather forget, there's the company's justification for changing it.

I'm frankly more disturbed by the edits made to Dumbo!

They never cut Dumbo. That got off with a warning even though the voice of the head crow, Cliff Edwards (also, of course, the voice of Jiminy Cricket and another Gone with the Wind recast), was white. All the animated voice actors here are black. The other difference is that Dumbo is part of "The Canon" while the hybrids are grouped in with live-action as long as they are more than 50% live-action, and this is the first narrative film by Disney that can be classified that way. Like Steamboat Willie, Snow White, Treasure Island, TRON, and Toy Story, it's one of the "ones that started it all."*

The remake of Dumbo took their song "When I See an Elephant Fly" and reduced it to dialogue fragments by Michael Buffer. But he said it with a flair.

*Unless I'm forgetting something, the 1939 Technicolor version of The Ugly Duckling is the first Disney remake of a story they'd already told before (the 1931 monochrome version).

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I deleted the link to the bootleg site. Not giving them SEO link juice from HTF.
MY apologies @DaveF . it didnt occurr to me that that site might be bootleg it looked legit actually looked like a Disney offering. you might want to delete the graphic as well as it mentions the site link. its actually a screen capture off my phone. The FB thread is still quite active with a few people ordering the product for SOTS alone. i myself would refrain though it is tempting to purchase a copy to stick it to the politically correct "book burners". Don't if id trust that site with credit card info. and the price for that set is bit steep.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it’s reasonable to keep the image so others can be informed it’s a bootleg site, without giving the link benefit to the site.

• Appreciate

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I cared enough about the film and Disney won't make release that I could purchase then I would purchase the bootleg. If Disney gives a bootlegger an avenue to make money off their IP because their corporate image is more important than their property then I would feel zero obligation to them as far as this film goes.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
3-4 movies per disc so either BD-R of DVD/VHS rips or just plain DVD masquerading as BD discs

Poor English translations on the information pages -- or else English speakers with very poor control of the language

Store setup 2020

What's to be suspicious about this site. It reminds me of all those Disney DVD Treasure Chest -- 50 DVDs for $100 that Ebay sold for years.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
the Winnshop Disney release seems to be selling well according to my FB feed. I’ve seen a few folks on that FB THREAD are buying the collection solely for SOTS.
once things in my life stabilize I may go take one for the HTF team and purchase a copy, the write a review.IMHO TTHE Winnshop release appears legit and not a bootleg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks