Song of the South (1946) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
People cared enough to write condescending clickbait articles attacking the Splash Mountain ride for being based on a film they don't want to release except outside the US where an organized backlash never materialized. This is why I agree with Mike Frezon when he speculated that that was Disney's doing. Either way, they'll care when it happens to something they care about. Watch what happens to sales of the season 4 DVD of The Golden Girls after Hulu dropped an episode about Dorothy's son marrying a black woman twice his age because of a scene with Blanche and Rose meeting the fiancée's family with facial mudpacks, trying to smooth out any potentially awkward situations (as if it wasn't already).

To attack the film is to attack Walt Disney (and by proxy, the cast and crew) for making it and its supporters for believing it should be available to anyone who wants it. If Walt was so evil by current standards, then isn't it kind of irresponsible for anyone to profit off his name and legacy?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just one thinks that any hope of a SOTS release is DOA, this pops up on my FB feed

2DA6F6DC-1D19-4CEE-862A-E7D534C021CB.png
the appearance of SOTS on this particular offering has drawn a comment ortwo om the feed.
[link deleted by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yup, bootlegs of Song of the South are widely available. Disney seems to not be pursuing that. So, that appears the mode of distribution for this picture going forward.

I keep hearing about an official Disney DVD release of this in Europe and/or other countries but I have not ever seen nor heard of this nor can I find anything about that...is this true? Meaning Disney at one point in time allowed some overseas release of the film on DVD. This seems a false claim as far as I can tell.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yup, bootlegs of Song of the South are widely available. Disney seems to not be pursuing that. So, that appears the mode of distribution for this picture going forward.

I keep hearing about an official Disney DVD release of this in Europe and/or other countries but I have not ever seen nor heard of this nor can I find anything about that...is this true? Meaning Disney at one point in time allowed some overseas release of the film on DVD. This seems a false claim as far as I can tell.
I believe that Joe Dante mistakenly mentioned* that there was a European DVD release in his podcast that you linked but as far as I know, the last time SOTS legitimately came out was on a Japanese laserdisc. I assume that's been the source for the bootlegs unless it's like Star Wars where someone got access to 35mm prints.

*The rare time that Joe's stunningly good memory made a mistake.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I believe that Joe Dante mistakenly mentioned* that there was a European DVD release in his podcast that you linked but as far as I know, the last time SOTS legitimately came out was on a Japanese laserdisc. I assume that's been the source for the bootlegs unless it's like Star Wars where someone got access to 35mm prints.

There was a VHS tape released in Europe (UK). It was released in, I believe 1992. I had a copy but sold it as I no longer can play PAL.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The Japanese LD would not make a very good source for a bootleg. Or at least, it would be a readily identifiable one. There are non-optional Japanese subtitles for the songs. There are also two releases in Japan on LD. The first was in 1985, with Analog Audio only, the second in 1990 with Analog and Digital Audio.

There's also a Hong Kong LD release without any subtitles. That's probably a good source for bootlegs.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
well folks I've a couple responses from people who bought the set just to get SOTS. I just hesitant at that $75 price point. Back in my more financially (finansilly) carefree days I might have pulled the trigger. I don't know enough about the website to trust it with my credi card info.Looks like pretty nice set though for Disney fans.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is no legitimate release of Song of the South in any location on DVD or BD. It got overseas laserdisc and VHS releases decades ago but that’s it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Bob Iger said ten years ago that as long as he is in charge, Song of the South will not be released. He said it's not worth the hassle for the company.

I hate to see any movie lost to history, but Disney's recent decision to redo Splash Mountain with a Princess & The Frog (a great movie!) theme cements the company position against Song of the South.

I saw SOTS as a child, more than 45 years ago, and I loved it. I barely remember it. It's fading.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think that almost every collector of film, no matter in what format, has SOTHS in their collection....I do!

I don’t! I have over 1,000 movies, including every animated Disney movie since 1937, but not SOTS. I guess I dislike bootlegs more than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks