What's new

Song of the South (1946) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If it was a legit release it would be available on legit sites.

And if it was legit, it would have to have been licensed from Disney. And if Disney was willing to license it, there would be plenty of better known legit labels to license it to.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Inconsistent" is an understatement.
And the recent decision to change the attraction takes the wrong side of their inconsistency and makes it worse.
And while it may be more recent, I still believe The Princess and the Frog is utterly forgettable--in both story and song. People need to remember that Disney's argument that kids don't "know" the characters from SotS is only true because Disney themselves created that truth.

This is yet another example of "not letting a crisis go to waste" to be able to rebrand an extremely popular park attraction with minimized pushback.

When it comes to its theme parks, Disney has done nothing right for the last 25 years. At least in Florida where everything I loved about Disney World, EPCOT and MGM Studios was either senselessly replaced or allowed to go to seed. This decision with Splash Mountain (the last great new attraction I ever experienced) is just another reason why I'd never go back (thank goodness all the great old attractions survived into the era of camcorders).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
the Winnshop Disney release seems to be selling well according to my FB feed. I’ve seen a few folks on that FB THREAD are buying the collection solely for SOTS.
once things in my life stabilize I may go take one for the HTF team and purchase a copy, the write a review.IMHO TTHE Winnshop release appears legit and not a bootleg
Brad please do not reward pirates with financial gain. And be warned, posting about having purchased bootleg materials has gotten other members banned from the forum. The thing with Disney, is that while they do not sanction fan-restored and distributed (for free) versions of Song of the South they apparently are not aggressively doing anything to shut them down. There is even a famous website that is an archive of public domain material that allows a fan-restored version of SOTS to be shared there even though technically the film is not public domain.

Oh, and by the way, you have no idea how many copies that bootleg site is selling. That countdown of how many copies is left is fake. Every time you refresh the page the number goes back up and starts ticking down again. It is a high-pressure technique to make people think they will miss out if they don't buy now.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm sorry, but we can't allow that bootleg link to remain live on our site.
Bravo! Although I think Disney is a laugh for ruining Walt's legacy they do deserve to benefit from their firms content. We the people are the one's that get fleeced buying garbage! Eventually Song Of The South will be public domain shame on Disney for not doing right by their shareholders and releasing the film. Those who want it should be able to buy it and those who do not like the film just do not buy it. Bet they would sell tons of copies!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Applaud the effort.

Now for the next question. SOTS is now considered Public Domain in Japan officially. THere is an item that was licensed and in theory produced as a Japanese release though seems to be one of those transfers that have floated around for years of the FanEdit sites - I think this is mostly from a 16mm source.

Is that item officially allowed to be linked on this site?

For Forum purposes -- are FanEdits from various sources that are free to download and not FOR SALE considered pirate/bootlegs or legal. I know there has been a ton of posts about in the Star Wars items about those FanEdits though most of it has been discussion and not direct links.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We're not in Japan! And, we're not going to allow this forum to be placed in the middle of this situation.
Not even a bit of a problem, just looking for clarification. I've always come down on the side that FanEdits were bootlegs anyway and have avoided them

I wasn't sure since it seems to be technically a legal release in Japan if that changed matters and if it was now equivalent to a Region B locked release from EU that has no US release b/c a different distributor holds US rights.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We're not in Japan! And, we're not going to allow this forum to be placed in the middle of this situation.
I would like to add on to Robert's comment, which is true for SOTS. You also asked about fan edits in general.

Discussing fan edits like Project 4K77 for example is just fine on HTF. What we do not tolerate is discussing where to acquire them.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I remember years ago biding on the LD of it. Not sure if it was the Korean or Japanese edition.

The winning bid was a tad over $400 and I remember asking the winner why he bid so much. He said that he got caught up in the bidding and didn't realize how high it had gone.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I bid on a Japanese Laserdisc too. I think me and the Mrs. agreed to go no higher than $300 and we won. I still have it, and a backup onto DVD for convenience.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The film ranked the 23rd highest grossing film with a take of $3.4 million dollars ranking higher than The Farmer's Daughter and It's A Wonderful LIfe --- Miracle on 34th Street ranked 45 with a take of $2.65 of course the film studios would add to the film's take through re-issues of their films. So SOTS was pretty well received by the public in 1947. Disney should just treat us like adults as they do the people of Japan and Europe where the film is legally or was legally on video. Meaning put the film out thru the club and this way people who want the film could buy it and if u do not want it just skip it. Also check out the rest of the issue of Variety https://archive.org/details/variety169-1948-01/page/n62/mode/1up?view=theater

Last edited:

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

Attachments

• D553C44C-1EE0-4429-9C97-51F96D6B04E3.jpeg
    D553C44C-1EE0-4429-9C97-51F96D6B04E3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not by all of the public
3.4 million in 1947 and ranking at 23 for 1947 considering 50-million to 100 million went to the movies weekly still can safely say received well by the public - when movies cost what 25 cents for kids

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
No official Song of the South release in a non-obsolete video format = we got a bill of no sale right here for all things Disney. I won't even watch ABC.*

Not by all of the public

Yet when protesting was justified for an inferior and derivative film that couldn't even beat it when they were both reissued theatrically in 1980 in an integrated US with a Southern president, they stayed home. And as if it isn't bad enough that we have to essentially break the law to watch SotS, but the studio needlessly cut four post-Walt musicals between 1967 and 1977, only restored cuts to two of them, and then cut one of them again!

*Iger was there when they replaced Webster with Full House on Friday nights. Unforgivable.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
No official Song of the South release in a non-obsolete video format = we got a bill of no sale right here for all things Disney. I won't even watch ABC.*

Yet when protesting was justified for an inferior and derivative film that couldn't even beat it when they were both reissued theatrically in 1980 in an integrated US with a Southern president, they stayed home. And as if it isn't bad enough that we have to essentially break the law to watch SotS, but the studio needlessly cut four post-Walt musicals between 1967 and 1977, only restored cuts to two of them, and then cut one of them again!

*Iger was there when they replaced Webster with Full House on Friday nights. Unforgivable.

Is Song of the South your favorite film, Matthew? I mean I think they should release it as a piece of history but I'm not upset about them not releasing it. I wish someone would put out The Devils as well, but I guess nobody wants to do that either.

I have both on DVD so while it would be better to have a great release on Blu-ray there are many more pictures for me to watch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Is Song of the South your favorite film, Matthew? I mean I think they should release it as a piece of history but I'm not upset about them not releasing it. I wish someone would put out The Devils as well, but I guess nobody wants to do that either.

I have both on DVD so while it would be better to have a great release on Blu-ray there are many more pictures for me to watch.
The funny thing is that Warners put themselves in the corner with The Devils. If they had just been releasing it on the various formats over the years, it would have been out on Blu-ray years ago with no controversy. By keeping it out of circulation for so long, Warners made the movie 'forbidden' and if they release it now, the internet will say "Holy shit, Warners is finally putting out The Devils" and that will get a disingenuous backlash from a handful of cranks and a certain segment of the media. However, in the case of Song Of The South, there's been no way for decades to release that that doesn't get disastrously terrible press and a backlash that is too big to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks