What's new

Somewhere In Time (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, it's much better than the DVD - but it's clearly not a new master and it's funny to me that this gets a pass but Titus using an old master gets everyone going berserk. I didn't see as much fine detail as you, the grain looks odd in several sequences, and I found the 1912 stuff really orange and yellow, but maybe that was the intention. It's never been a great-looking film - I worked with its cinematographer, a really nice guy, but both the director and he had been doing TV for a while and it's always looked like a TV movie of that era to me. But that's just me. It's certainly an okay transfer, but I suspect it could look a lot better than this.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Part of the brouhaha regarding "Titus" is the fact that it's a 3,000-pressing limited edition that costs TWICE as much as this release...given the fact that we're unlikely to get new HD transfers for either title, I've learned to live with these real-life circumstances without exercising unnecessary angst about it...we ARE discussing first-world problems, after all, Bruce!!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
lukejosephchung said:
Part of the brouhaha regarding "Titus" is the fact that it's a 3,000-presing limited edition that costs TWICE as much as this release...given the fact that we're unlikely to get new HD transfers for either title, I've learned to live with these real-life circumstances without exercising unnecessary angst about it...we ARE discussing first-world problems, after all, Bruce!!!
I don't have any angst about it, I just think it's funny. :) But I also don't see the difference just because something is cheaper - an old master is an old master and if people are going to be up in arms about it then it should be across the board, don't you think?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Universal gets plenty of deserved across-the-board angst directed towards them about their Blu-ray transfers. I think when they do something right, or, at least, better than usual, it needs to be pointed out. New master or not, Somewhere In Time looks fantastic compared to all previous releases.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cineMANIAC said:
Universal gets plenty of deserved across-the-board angst directed towards them about their Blu-ray transfers. I think when they do something right, or, at least, better than usual, it needs to be pointed out. New master or not, Somewhere In Time looks fantastic compared to all previous releases.
While it may look better than all previous releases, that is not exactly the point of Blu-ray. There is nothing "fantastic" about this transfer, IMO. It's decent, it's okay, it looks fine.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I suspect some "tolerance" of bad product from Universal has entered the collective consciousness of fans.

I always have a sense of relief whenever a catalog title from Universal is not absurdly poor. Even titles like Vertigo (my favorite film BTW!) get some credit for being better than they could have been.

This is how I regard Universal's Somewhere In Time Blu-ray:

"It is not Spartacus!"

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My copy arrived today. And the response I received from Amazon was, basically, to go pound sand. They said I must have ordered the title BEFORE a release date delivery guarantee was in place.

I replied to tell them their customer service sucked in this instance. I haven't heard back yet.

Mark

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
rsmithjr said:
I suspect some "tolerance" of bad product from Universal has entered the collective consciousness of fans.
That's a shame. I don't plan on getting this title for I do not want to settle for second best. I have rarely purchased Universal titles lately except for a TCM or MOD title. The last Blu ray purchase was a little over a year ago, the Hitchcock collection and was disappointed.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Amazon finally responded again. This time with an apology (including apologizing for the previous incorrect information) and a $15 promotional credit. The apology is the most important part but the $15 helps too! :)Mark

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I want to be clear, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying this - the point of my initial post was very clear. Some are obviously very happy. And since one of the posters here has taken me to task on another board and accused me of working for Twilight Time, let me say again for the umpteenth time that no I do not work for Twilight Time - one of its co-owners is one of my best friends. And he knows that if I don't like a transfer I will say it and he will not take it personally because he's an adult and a good guy.

I suppose that if this very same disc had been released by Twilight Time and cost double what it costs, there would be an uproar about the older master. That's the way it is. I have lauded Universal when they've done transfers I've liked and defended them when the boards have been vicious. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if after having done new masters for several titles and reading the brickbats on certain boards they just thought why should they bother when they'll be damned either way. There's nothing intrinsically awry with the Somewhere in Time transfer - I just think it could look a lot better and that is my opinion.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Bruce, because "Somewhere In Time" ISN'T a pricey limited edition release is why I'm willing to live with admittedly less-than-optimal picture quality...Twillight Time caters to a much more discerning portion of the home theater market, just as YOU cater to the specialized area of the music industry...I pay higher prices gladly because I know your products are either hard-to-obtain or of superior quality or both!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched our copy last night. While the transfer was certainly not optimal, it was better than the horrible DVD transfer that I used to own. While I would love to see a complete remaster of this title like Bruce, for the price of this release I am glad to have a watchable version of the film in our library.

It's been quite a few years since I last saw the film, but it is still quite jarring to see a car driving on Mackinac Island for those of us who visit the island.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 'Somewhere in Time' last night. My thoughts echo what Scott posted. This isn't a horrible transfer but I think the studio could have done better. It's definitely way better than the DVD but it's still not quite up to the standards I expect from Blu-ray.

Mark

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
OK Ronald, I just put in the order for this movie (using your link) and its now in my Amazon cart. Will submit the order on Friday (payday).
Hey, its the least I could do since you're helping me bend someone's ear at Sony for the two movies I want on Blu.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mark Booth said:
We watched 'Somewhere in Time' last night. My thoughts echo what Scott posted. This isn't a horrible transfer but I think the studio could have done better. It's definitely way better than the DVD but it's still not quite up to the standards I expect from Blu-ray.

Mark
I felt the same way for the blu-ray of Wanda Nevada. Better than the DVD for sure but it could have been better. I don't think they used the original negatives for either film on the transfer.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll catch some flack for this but after watching this again last night; it's just not that great, and Christopher Reeve is just not a good enough actor to save it.
This coming from a guy who's entire career as a writer was inspired by the early short stories, Twilight Zone episodes and novels of Richard Matheson (I have an I Am Legend first edition). I love the romantic concept and even the hypnotic time travel device used, but in the film, the romance, despite Jane Seymour's excellent attempts, can't be explained away with some dreamy montages and Reeve's gaga looks. By the movie's standard, they just fall in love because they find each other pretty. But then the premise is falling in love with a photograph, so there's that. They could have played up the metaphysical aspect to knowing each other beyond just appearances.The documentary included, on the other hand, is quite extraordinary, and far more compelling and satisfying than the movie, at least for me. Reeve talking about having a real out-of-body experience several months after his paralyzing accident on some bad medication: Fascinating! Jane Seymour talking about playing her big stage confession love scene moment directly to... Richard Matheson standing around near the camera (since Reeve wasn't available): Fantastic! And he's so moved by it, he runs home guilty to his wife (HA!). Christopher Plummer's explanation for why he never looks at Reeve in the film when talking to him. Brilliant! John Barry explaining why he dumped Matheson's beloved Mahler theme for Rachmaninoff. Cool!The fact the story was written for the Coronado in San Diego, but they used The Grand Hotel instead. A very fortuitous substitution. If you've every been to Mackinac Island, you wonder how they got permission to use ANY cars for those present day scenes. Then you find out they all had to bike to the set every day. The whole story of how the actor's strike prevented Reeve and Seymour from being able to promote the film on any talk shows, and how the film bombed first time out. And how it got saved from obscurity and became a cult classic thanks to Channel Z in Los Angeles. (I used to love that channel).

I appreciate the sentiment in the film and also the story, if not the execution, but that documentary is what makes this Blu-ray a timeless classic keeper. Well done.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I watched this last night. I haven't seen it since the 1980s. I really enjoyed the blu-ray. The transfer was fine IMO. It looks like a tv movie, but I didn't notice any artifacts, banding, DNR, or EE. Nice.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ronald Epstein said:
Kyrsten,

Certainly not a problem...

...and thank you.
Brad here. Just to let you know Ron, the order was paid for and put in today for Somewhere In Time (used your link). Also added Frozen and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (I still adore Barbara Eden to this day. Sheesh, she's in her 70s now and probably could still put on that Jeannie costume. And she makes Miley Cyrus look like a 2).

Oh and Funny how the current Wal-Mart price for the Frozen Blu-ray package (inc DVD and Digital Copy) is now identical to Amazon's ($19.96). Wal-Mart was originally charging $27.95 for the package.

A pain in the arse though having to buy at least $35.00 worth of "qualifying" products on Amazon in order to qualify for free shipping. Used to be $25.00 minimum but Amazon raised it to $35 last year sometime.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I saw it last night; can't recommend it. Way too many problems with uneven color. This film deserves way better....a complete restoration. And then I watch "Tron" which came out a couple years later and it looked like it was shot yesterday. Time travel, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks