What's new

Somewhere In Time (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Watched it after our cruise for the first time. Ended up watching it twice it was that good. Amazing this movie came out in 1980 and I had never even heard of it back then or until it was announced here for blu.

This was a definite worthy post-Superman endeavor for Chrisotpher Reeve. Will watch this again. Oh and Jane Seymour was, and still is one classic beautiful woman, even if her character in Smallville got killed by Kristen Kreuk.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I just got around to watching this last night, and there were some scenes, especially during Reeve and Seymour's first date montage around the island, where the contrast and brightness were so blown out that I thought I was going to burn my corneas out. Certainly this couldn't have been how the film was originally shot. It made a good movie almost unwatchable, IMO.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven't watched the blu yet but I always remember the movie looking a little blown out but not to unwatchable. I thought it was on purpose to give the flashback in time sections a dream like look.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jeff F. said:
I just got around to watching this last night, and there were some scenes, especially during Reeve and Seymour's first date montage around the island, where the contrast and brightness were so blown out that I thought I was going to burn my corneas out. Certainly this couldn't have been how the film was originally shot. It made a good movie almost unwatchable, IMO.
Those scenes are pretty awful. The push to yellow taints, and nearly ruins all flashback scenes. Sad thing is they are such beautiful shots and are unnecessarily tampered with. In contrast look at the island shots when Richard arrives at the Grand Hotel for the first time.Great transfer marred by a lousy attempt to evoke a different time period with a color filter.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was going to pop the disc in yesterday, and then I remembered why I haven't watched it in a couple years.
Maybe I could watch the DVD instead? Nope, worse garbage.
I wonder if Universal will re-visit this at some point and give fans a new transfer minus the yellow/orange early 1900's scenes. My Blu-Ray has no use except maybe a decorative coaster.

somewhere_in_time2.jpg

Capture.PNG

Hmmmm...I wonder which one looks better?

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You do know this movie was a terrible flop? It became a bi-word in our family for a rediculous movie. I remember hooting at a review which stated that this was the movie where "Christopher Reeve just thinks really hard and goes into the past"!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. Didn't even realize it was that bad. I love this movie, but mine is still in shrink-wrap.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Terry,
this movie has a die hard fan base. Sure, it was a box office flop but found an audience on home video.
Sometimes you have to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride;)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was going to pop the disc in yesterday, and then I remembered why I haven't watched it in a couple years.
Maybe I could watch the DVD instead? Nope, worse garbage.
I wonder if Universal will re-visit this at some point and give fans a new transfer minus the yellow/orange early 1900's scenes. My Blu-Ray has no use except maybe a decorative coaster.

somewhere_in_time2.jpg

View attachment 33906
Hmmmm...I wonder which one looks better?

To bad they can't do this with South Pacific!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Didn't even realize it was that bad. I love this movie, but mine is still in shrink-wrap.
It is baffling to me that there wasn't much of an outcry from the fans of the movie that bought the Blu-Ray disc. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to color filters, but this release is completely unacceptable to me. I won't watch it again, and that is a shame.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Funny, I just figured that was the way it always looked (and was intended to look). It may have been a commercial flop but my wife and I enjoyed it immensely.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It's always looked a little hazy.

I don't want to be one of those guys but I saw it on its original run at the movies.

It looked a little "sheeny" then too.
This immediately became and still is my favorite movie.

I think we're lucky to have it on blu or dvd.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
You do know this movie was a terrible flop? It became a bi-word in our family for a rediculous movie. I remember hooting at a review which stated that this was the movie where "Christopher Reeve just thinks really hard and goes into the past"!
It played incessantly on HBO in the 80's....which is apparently a harbinger for bad films to get blu-ray releases!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That's fine but even if I didn't like it I don't see what is bad about it.

Beautifully filmed.
The music is great.
Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeves nail it.
Based on a story by Richard Matheson.

Tugs at the heart and is a wonderful love story.

Also James Cameron must have liked it because he took the ending and used it in Titanic

Not liking a movie or not being entertained by it isn't the same as it being bad. Semantics maybe.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Critics hated it, but the audience score at Rottentomatoes is 88%, so that should tell you something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks