What's new

Some Subwoofer insight (1 Viewer)

Greetings, nice site you have here. I've been doing alot of reading here, so much good stuff. I'm pretty new to the HT scene. I put together some components a few years ago, and wanted to add a Subwoofer to my system. I'm really looking for suggestions and information to make an informed decision on what subwoofer to purchase. It will be for HT use (mainly movies) and I'd like to stay under $500. This is my reciever ---> JVC RX-888VBK ,these are my main speakers ---> HLS810 ,and these are my surround speakers ---> FLIX20 . In the mean time I'll keep reading and learning. Thank you for your time.

Martice

Screenwriter
Welcome Thomas. This is the right place to come when you have sub questions. You'll find many people recommending subs from places like Adire Audio, HSU, Acoustic-Visions, SVS and some of the better know companies. What type of sub you get depends on your room size, size restrictions, taste in bass performance and money available to purchase. I personally went with 2 custom subs from Acoustic-Visions but I think you'll find that when it comes to quality subs, the differences are not that great and other things like customer service and looks come into play.

Provide a little more info about your room and tastes and you'll get some of the best feed back on the net.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My favorite option. If you have some tools and are willing to take the time and effort to build the enclosure yourself, you'll be amazed at what can be done for less than $500. Savings goes out the window if you have to buy tools though (unless you want and will use the tools for other things).

If it interests you take a look in the DIY/Advanced section and you'll quickly learn the ropes.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Yes, there are many good choices in your price range. If you don't want to go the DIY route, there are three venerable HTF subs and they are:

Adire Rava $399
Hsu VTF-2 $449.10
SVS 25-31 PCi $499

Of course, there are many other choices, but these seem to be the most popular among the forum members. All are extremely good subs, but are slightly different animals in performance. Echoing Martice's statement, let us know what exactly you are looking for so we can help you narrow down your choices.

Thank you for the responses. The room it is for is 20' long x 12' wide. Being as I've never owned a sub before, I guess I would like to know what differnce the sizes make? I would like something that might blend well with my system, without being overpowering. I've listened to a couple at a store, but frankly just left confused. Research continues...thanks

Martice

Screenwriter
I guess I would like to know what differnce the sizes make?
Bigger size GENERALLY means bigger bass. However, bigger does not mean better bass. The word 'quality' is the key word when it comes to describing the performance of a sub when it is built correctly and with quality parts. Your room is fairly large so any of the companies that has been mentioned will have subs that can fill the your room with tight, tuneful, emotional and powerful bass.

So get on your horse and start doing as much research as possible. Then start doing some listening and you'll quickly start to develop a sense of the type of bass performance that you like and need for your system

Martice

Screenwriter
In addition, if you are handy with tools you can build your own sub with performance that is on a whole new level than what you can buy retail. The closest you can get to the excellent DIY performance for price offerings is to go to companies like Link Removed. They offer sub kits that are precut and all you have to do is basically glue and drill from what I've learned. However, I had them build my sub for me and I paid less than $200.00 more than what your budget is and the performance matches and exceeds the performance of commercial subs well into the $1,000-$2,000 range.
Do a search on all of the companies offered in this thread. Visit their web-sites and e-mail owners. Then try to find owners who live by you and see if you could hear their setup using the sub that you are looking at. It's only $500.00 but it's up to you on how far that $500.00 goes.
Good Luck and welcome to HTF.

Alan Levasseur

Auditioning
SVS 20-39PCI on sale right now, it will be the first and last sub you will need to buy. It is simply the best for your size room. Check out the responses and reviews and go for it, I did!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. Depends on your performance goals.
Now I would say it about this sub however:
Link Removed

Ernest R

Agent
Good research is finding something unimaginable like I did 2 months ago.:star:
I have a $450 budget for a sub to complete my new/first HT system. Only problem was where to put the big square box in a fairly cluttered family room. Well since DIY (Do It Yourself) was my path anyway I found a different solution just days before ordering everything for my soon to be new Box. Pop over to the link below and see what I discovered.
Good Luck
Riojas:emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks