What's new

Some crazy DIY sub questions... (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
Ever since I finished my sub, I've been longing to start another. Well, after about 6 months, I'm finally getting the 5.0 setup I wanted, so after that I'm thinking of another sub. I had originally thought about dual DPL12s in sealed boxes, ran in stereo, but now I want to go big again. Not quite as big as my current box, but big and crazy. I could just replace my AV15s in my current box with tumults and get a bigger amp, but I'm not sure that would satisfy me. I'm thinking something along the lines of 5-6 Blueprint 1804s. I'm soon moving into a house, which I'll be renting, but I might be able to fit in a nice IB setup utilizing 5-6 drivers, and then patch it up when I move out. Even crazier than that, I was wondering what would happen, if I created a 6-driver, 24"-30" cube, sealed, using the 1804s? just this huge cube full of 1804s. I really just want to do something insane. i know an IB would be crazy with that much woofage, but I've never heard of a 6 driver cube before either. Any thoughts?

thanks,

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
Ever since I finished my sub, I've been longing to start another. Well, after about 6 months, I'm finally getting the 5.0 setup I wanted, so after that I'm thinking of another sub. I had originally thought about dual DPL12s in sealed boxes, ran in stereo, but now I want to go big again. Not quite as big as my current box, but big and crazy. I could just replace my AV15s in my current box with tumults and get a bigger amp, but I'm not sure that would satisfy me. I'm thinking something along the lines of 5-6 Blueprint 1804s. I'm soon moving into a house, which I'll be renting, but I might be able to fit in a nice IB setup utilizing 5-6 drivers, and then patch it up when I move out. Even crazier than that, I was wondering what would happen, if I created a 6-driver, 24"-30" cube, sealed, using the 1804s? just this huge cube full of 1804s. I really just want to do something insane. i know an IB would be crazy with that much woofage, but I've never heard of a 6 driver cube before either. Any thoughts?

thanks,

eric

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
go for it, just keep posting pics and such to let us know about it. if you havent seen a 6 sided sub yet, its probably cause they havent made one yet. BE THE FIRST!!!!

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
go for it, just keep posting pics and such to let us know about it. if you havent seen a 6 sided sub yet, its probably cause they havent made one yet. BE THE FIRST!!!!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Unless your room is the size of a basketball court, 4- BP-1804s would be plenty.........

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Unless your room is the size of a basketball court, 4- BP-1804s would be plenty.........

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Eric, you should stuff your 6-woofer box with candy, that way when it explodes, you get a nice pinata effect! :D

:laugh:

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Eric, you should stuff your 6-woofer box with candy, that way when it explodes, you get a nice pinata effect! :D

:laugh:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Or, make it a ported sub with the vents facing into the room so the room will stay cool from the "breeze." :D :D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Or, make it a ported sub with the vents facing into the room so the room will stay cool from the "breeze." :D :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Unless you clam shelled some of those drivers together you'd need a HUGE box to put all six in one box...even with three in a clam shell formation it would be pretty big. As Thomas points out four 1804's in an IB config would have monsterous output. I've got four tempests in my IB and its more then enough even for me. Since you have several AV15's already why not add two more and use those in an IB?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Unless you clam shelled some of those drivers together you'd need a HUGE box to put all six in one box...even with three in a clam shell formation it would be pretty big. As Thomas points out four 1804's in an IB config would have monsterous output. I've got four tempests in my IB and its more then enough even for me. Since you have several AV15's already why not add two more and use those in an IB?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i bet he would run into the same problem as i would in adding more av15 to my setup sence i have a first run i would have to buy all new so the drivers would match.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i bet he would run into the same problem as i would in adding more av15 to my setup sence i have a first run i would have to buy all new so the drivers would match.

Eric Eash

Second Unit

again, that's just not crazy enough. plus as bryan stated, first gen av15s are discontinued, tough to find, and have a 50% fail rate according to stryke. this i find out after i purchase. if i didn't do a 6 sided sub, just for kicks, i'm thinking a 22" internal cube, 5 driver IB using 1804s, and one complete side exposed. thanks for the input guys. if anyone else out there has a crazy idea for a diy sub, i'd love to hear it. building it is half the fun, playing it loud and tweaking is the other half.

eric

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
I love your box with the 2 Stryke 15's

but a box with a sub on each side would have some bad cancellation issues

http://www.teamgates.net/bronco.html

all that equipment and when they first hooked it up, it was only playing in the 140's, they had cancellation from the subs facing those directions, they fixed it with computers, basically delaying the signal to some of the subs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks