What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

'Some Came Running' announced - but has anyone heard of the label? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
The Amazon site is showing that Minnelli's 'Some Came Running' has been announced for release on October 25th - on a label named 'Pro-Active Entertain'. I haven't heard of this label before - does anyone know what sort of track record they have and whether this is likely to be a good transfer? The movie was originally an MGM production, so I was expecting Warners to own the DVD rights now. Anyway I'm pleased to see that it's appearing on DVD, provided it's a decent transfer.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm dubious about the announcement.

Both the VHS tape and laser disc were released by MGM prior to their acquisition by Warners via Ted Turner. If it HAS fallen into public domain, it's done so only recently and someone at Warners messed up seriously by not renewing the copyright. Given the value of their massive library, I doubt this would have been allowed to happen but incompetence knows no boundaries.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Apparently, no incompetence is at fault here...just some unseemly pirate trying to get away with theft.

The film is most definitely protected by copyright, as indicated on the Library of Congress' website:

Registration Number: RE-279-860
Title: Some came running. By aLoew's, Inc. & Sol. C. Siegel Productions,
Inc.

Claimant: acM G M/U A Entertainment Company & acSol C. Siegel Productions,
Inc. (PWH)

Effective Registration Date: 6Jan86
Original Registration Date: 9Dec58;
Original Registration Number: LP12675.
Original Class: L

I doubt this bootleg will ever come to market...except (sadly) via the black market, perhaps, where unknowing people end up with LD ports. (UGH)

It's a great film, and I'm certain we'll get a first-class DVD release from Warner one of these days....

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Even more disturbing info - kazart is listing that Cheezy Flicks is actually releasing this title. Pro-Active Entertainment usually just distribute other studio's releases (including some Canadian ones).

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Didn't Warner say that they intend to release it sometime in 2006? It needs a high class Warner transfer, I hope people resist rewarding this public domain company.

I prefer the film to the more famous James Jones novel adaptation - From Here to Eternity. The final sequence is an amazing piece of widescreen choreography, as others have pointed out, the coloured lights and low angle shots and actor movement are as well staged as any Minelli musical sequence.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure WB would want to put out a Minelli collection, featuring this film, one of his greatest dramatic works.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Great score as well, I think Bernstein admitted that his opening cue was his version of a Bernard Herrmann main title :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks