What's new

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't believe this was ever released in stereo. ...

From Film Score Monthly:

Some Came Running is an Elmer Bernstein masterpiece that would have been released on CD by Rhino or FSM years ago but for an odd defect in the stereo master tapes (still not fully understood) that resulted in missing instrumentation in some cues. Fortunately, between the surviving stereo masters in the Warner Bros. vaults, a monaural tape kept by the composer, and acetates stored at the University of Southern California, the complete score has been reconstructed, almost entirely in stereo, with exemplary sound quality. This is cause for celebration, as this is one of Bernstein's—and the era's—very best. Liner notes are by Lukas Kendall.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
From Film Score Monthly:

Some Came Running is an Elmer Bernstein masterpiece that would have been released on CD by Rhino or FSM years ago but for an odd defect in the stereo master tapes (still not fully understood) that resulted in missing instrumentation in some cues. Fortunately, between the surviving stereo masters in the Warner Bros. vaults, a monaural tape kept by the composer, and acetates stored at the University of Southern California, the complete score has been reconstructed, almost entirely in stereo, with exemplary sound quality. This is cause for celebration, as this is one of Bernstein's—and the era's—very best. Liner notes are by Lukas Kendall.
He's talking about the MUSIC not the film. The music was recorded in stereo and released in stereo by Capital Records at the time the film came out. I don't believe the FILM was ever shown in stereo anywhere.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Someone updated the IMDB with 4-track stereo. Maybe they knew.

It's Capitol not Capital.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
It is my belief that this film never got a Stereo release and the imdb tech info is (as so often is the case) wrong. I also believe the Capitol Records album was not a true “soundtrack” album, but a re-record done at Capitol and not the M-G-M orchestra. Musicians union re-use fees were so high that many a “soundtrack” album from the 50s and 60s was not the real deal. FWIW, this should not dissuade anyone from picking up the disc. This excellent film is given a gorgeous new transfer here, and is yet another impressive presentation from Warner Archive who really have been knocking ‘em out of the park, to my great delight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks