What's new

solaris from criterion (1 Viewer)

phil choi

Auditioning
the other criterion site (www.criteriondvd.com) has the info. they also posted the cover art for the upcoming "the vanishing".
and deleted "trainspotting" from the coming soon list.
[Edited last by phil choi on July 19, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Still a bit of a wait for mid to late 2002. I wonder if they are going to be using the Ruscico masters for this, including the supplements. The upcoming Image Vij disc looks like a carbon copy of the Ruscico release.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Phil, ya beat me to it! Anyway, I'm looking forward to Stalker and Solaris. Too bad about Trainspotting, though. I know a lot of people were waiting for that...
------------------
thirdman.gif

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The Ruscico edition will be hard to beat, but then again, CRITERION can be counted on to rise to the challenge...
without 13 subtitle fields, 3 languages, and 3 menus hogging space, likely they can fit the film onto one disc, and the extras onto the other, which the Ruscico disc is understandably unable to do......a scholars commentary would be icing on the cake...
------------------

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
and deleted "trainspotting" from the coming soon list.
Trainspotting was the only Criterion I was looking forward to.
Hopefully Miramax has plans on re-releasing this disc in the future - giving it the treatment it deserves.
------------------
Marc.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I dont know about MIRAMAX, but right now there is the Canadian ALLIANCE edition, which is pretty darn specail...
------------------

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I had the Alliance version of Trainspotting, and wasn't impressed with the transfer. Also the menus were extremely slow.
I sold it in the hopes of a re-release with an anamorphic transfer that will address the issues with picture quality.
[Edited last by Marc Colella on July 19, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I'm quite happy with Ruscico's Solaris and will only buy the Criterion edition if it carries a commentary track or other significant extras.
Any word when Ivan's Childhood may come out?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
What is the latest on this great movie, Solaris? Is Criterion going to release it? I did a search and didn't find any news in that regard, so I resurrected this one.
Is the Ruscico edition legal to purchase? I'm really looking forward to owning this movie on DVD.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Ruscico version is legal to purchase privately, just not to distribute in North America.
Criterion are said to be slating this for next year. I'm probably going to wait.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
...legal to purchase privately, just not to distribute...
You know, this is one of those "unauthorized" versus "illegal" misconceptions that ... [bites tongue] ... oh, never mind.
:)
I really can't wait to see this one come out. Anyone want to refresh our memories with a link to get the import Solaris?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: I dont know about MIRAMAX, but right now there is the Canadian ALLIANCE edition, which is pretty darn specail...[/quote]Unfortunately, it is also edited for content in at least one scene. Further discussion in this thread .
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 27, 2001 at 08:17 AM]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I guess this is an old thread recently resurrected, but I wanted to be sure all of you know that Jon Mulvaney has subsequently said that Criterion doesn't have dvd distribution rights for STALKER.
SOLARIS, yes. IVAN'S CHILDHOOD, yes. STALKER, no.
Ruscico will be releasing STALKER in the 4th quarter of this year (no precise date yet).

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Several movies by Ruscico are being relabeled in the US
by Image and Kino. Image's part # even gives the origins
away; RUSD_ _ _ _ DVD.
Image has from Ruscico;
Aladdin's Magic Lamp
Amphibian Man
Barbara the Fair with the Silken Hair
Father Frost
Princess and the Pea
Professor Dowell's Testament
Through Fire, Water and Brass Pipes
Torpedo Bombers
Viy, or Spirit of Evil
Kino has from Ruscico;
Moscow does not Believe in Tears (?I think this is Ruscico?)
Tchaikovsky
No one seems to want to touch the Ruscico version of
Andrei Rublyov, perhaps of the Criterion issue.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Kino will also be releasing Come & See on Oct. 23rd, I believe this is another Ruscico. I'm waiting for the new Dersu Uzala disc which was listed as 3rd quarter 2001 by Ruscico.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Don't expect for there to be Kino or Image versions of Ruscico's ANDREI RUBLEV, SOLARIS, or IVAN'S CHILDHOOD (slated for next year). Criterion has North American DVD rights for all these films.
Ruscico's upcoming STALKER, on the other hand, might eventually come out under another label in North America, as Criterion has recently stated that they do not have DVD rights to this film. And Ruscico's upcoming MIRROR might also get a North American release under the Kino label, since Kino has some sort of distribution agreement with Ruscico and since Kino has already released a DVD version of MIRROR about a year-and-a-half ago. Ruscico's upcoming ASHIK-KERIB might get the same distribution through Kino.
I won't be willing to wait for subsequent releases of the Tarkovsky films (my favorites). On the other hand, I'm really interested in getting Ruscico's upcoming release of Bondarchuk's WAR AND PEACE. Since this will be a 4-disc set and likely very, very expensive (I'm guessing in the $60-70 range), I might be willing to wait for a Kino or Image release if the savings look to be substantial.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Just to confuse the issue still further, Artificial Eye will be releasing the UK R2 version of Solaris (and Rublev) on 19 November as "first in a series of Tarkovsky films to be released by Artificial Eye on DVD in the coming months":
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=2797
I guess like others with multi-region players, I'll be waiting till all the votes are in before deciding which edition to buy.

Solaris from Artificial Eye maybe will be the same Ruscico's DVD (rebranded as kino and Image).
Here the quote from that link:
"Available on DVD for the first time, the film has been carefully restored by the Russian Film Council"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks