What's new

Sofia Coppola's Latest: "Marie-Antoinette" (1 Viewer)

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this trailer for her latest film starring Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman, and I have to say that I'm now pretty interested in it. It's just a teaser (it doesn't come out until fall '06) but the contrast of a period setting with the use of New Order's Age of Consent has me pretty curious as to what she has in store.

Check it out...

Marie-Antoinette teaser

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'm excited. It's clear that Coppola's sensibilities are in full effect, period movie or no. Plus, Lance Acord and some other members of the Lost in Translation team are back for this.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
For a lot of films, the word 'teaser' is synonymous with 'trailer' but this film truly delivers a teaser, for both good & bad. I have no idea what to expect of this film, only that I feel that the director's last work was extremely over-hyped (an ending would have seriously helped!)

In general, I'm not a huge fan of mixing modern music with period settings and I think this teaser used it to it's detriment. The only film I've seen where I did enjoy the mix was Moulin Rouge because the elemental fantasy of the musical helped to mask the typical jarring nature of the effect.

It's really hard to tell where Sofia Coppola is going with this film... is she going to portray Marie Antoinette as misunderstood... or a total bitch? or somewhere in between? Jason Schwartzman seems an atypical, but interesting choice to play Louis XVI.

Too many questions, too few answers. I hate teasers, but I guess it's better than the trailer that tells the whole story (ala Dreamer the Wonder *ick* Horse)

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
How can LiT be over-hyped when everyone says that? Well, except me. I love, love that movie.

She's almost certainly going the "misunderstood" route with Antoinette; it's based on a sympathetic book. Schwartzman is Coppola's cousin, by the way, so...:)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Well that certainly left an impression.

Not sure whether it's good or bad, but it's an impression.

Gregory Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I always dislike when people criticize a movie as overhyped. How does the hype have any bearing whatsoever on the quality of a film? The film is exactly the same whether a film receives any hype or not, but when that's what a person focusses on, I always think they've let the publicity machine cloud their judgement instead of judging a film on its own merits.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to comment on the topic at hand. I did think the modern music was distracting in the teaser, but of course we have no idea whether that's representative of the actual film or not. It's hard to know from the teaser what the tone of the film will be. However, I generally like Coppola's films, so I'll probably go see it.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson

The film might be the same, but your perception of it won't be. Hype alters the way you process a film since you're primed with expectation of what the film should be and what it shouldn't be. You might not be able to take note of the film's merits since you're looking for others that aren't there.

The problem with LiT was that it was built up to be this flawless masterpiece about people connecting, and when half the film turned out consist of static shots Scarlett Johannson and Bill Murray sitting alone in their hotel rooms, a lot of people were left disappointed. Also, just about every critic ruined the moment where Bill whispers in Scarlett's ear, so it didn't have the same effect on audiences that it had on them.

Frankly, I couldn't really appreciate LiT until my third or fourth viewing of it last year, removed from all the hype.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Are we sure this music is going to be in the final film? I've lost count of the number of times I've heard The Who's Baba O'Riley used over early preview trailers and it's never in the final cut of the movies. It's a common ploy of studios to put familiar music with trailers to engender a feeling of psychological warmth towards the new product. Pavlovian conditioning, you can't beat it.

I'll be interested to see how they portray Marie Antoinette, because there is enough ammunition on either side to make her a total bitch or a misunderstood victim of her class and upbringing. I think a reasonable analogy is Jackie Kennedy, who can be made into saint or sinner depending on how you choose to select events from her life.

If Sophia Coppolla shows the same deftness of touch she did with LiT then we could be in for an extremely good movie. SC was very unlucky not to get the big prize for LiT. In any year that there wasn't an epic movie or something about mental illness up for the big prize, LiT would have walked away with the award for best picture.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you are absolutely right. I guess I wasn't really expecting to hear the song in the actual movie, but I get a sense that she's going for a more playful and loose approach to the film regardless of what kind of music she chooses to use. That's probably what I was responding to because I'm alway a bit weary of period dramas, no matter how much critical praise is heaped on them. The recent Pride & Prejudice is a good example. I know if I actually sat done and watched it I would probably enjoy it, but these types of films always have an air of "watch it, it's good for you" to them which sometimes turns me off. However, "A Night's Tale" used modern music, and I found that to be distracting. Sofia Coppola's music taste is more in line with mine I guess.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I see no problem with using anachronistic music in historical dramas, so long as it's done well -- if they had Britney Spears doing a song, that's be one thing, but choosing music that's appropriate to the action on screen is perfectly fine by me. And I suspect Coppola would use modern music to analogize Marie-Antoinette's life to modern times.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Better quality downloads

High-Res

480P

720P

1080P

I think this teaser is an excellent tone poem, which doesn't surprise me considering Sofia's narratives have been strongest during those sustained wordless mood moments extremely prevalent in her previous two films.

And I actually think the use of New Order is quite inspired, partly because the melancholy of the tune contrasts sharply with a free-spirited depiction of a young Marie-Antoinette.

And what better track to score a seemingly frivolous sequence like this than an iconic song from the Me-decade. ;)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The more I see this teaser, the more I love it. This just screams Sofia Coppola. She doesn't even have to put her name on the end. There is absoluetly no mistaking her style.

Can't wait,
Nathan

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Sophia Coppola has a style? Aside from being the daughter of Francis Ford Coppola, that is?

If Lost in Translation is any indication I'd say her style is quiet boredom.

Exactly how many movies has she directed?

Curious...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I am going to pass....I know how it ends"

Recently in a interview Sofia mentioned filming Kirsten while she was wearing nothing but stockings:)

Anyway,Im curious and will wait on judgement.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in as interested in seeing this! I absolutely adored "Lost in Translation". One of only a handful of movies from recents years that I can watch over and over and over.

Indeed, she has a very strong style. Many people don't like it, but I am one of the many that does. This will be her third feature film following "The Virgin Suicides" & "Lost in Translation". If you have seen both of those films, the stylistic similarities are striking. If you find it boring, then that's your opinion, but personally I would rather watch either of these movies fifty times in succession than watch any Micahel Bay monstrosity.:emoji_thumbsup:

As for the connection with her father, I enjoy the daughter's work much more. The only Francis Ford Coppolla movie that I have like is "Bram Stoker's Dracula" which is an absolute masterpiece. The Godfather movies always left me befuddled as to why they are so great. The same goes for "The Conversation" and several other films of his that so many people seem to crowd around.

To each his own!

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

How come people who dislike Sophia's movies always bring up her father?

And FWIW, yes she has a very distinctive style. It's cool and distanced, almost to the point of being clinical, much closer in tone to Kubrick than her own father.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
There's nothing I don't like about the teaser, but I especially like the title design. After seeing the locations and costuming of an epic, we get a lo-fi title that looks like something young Marie would glue on her notebook. It makes this look like an indie French film, which is what it will be, in spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks