What's new

So You Think You Can Dance (Season 8) (1 Viewer)

Spero D

Second Unit
Loved Neil Patrick Harris calling Tyce out on his crap Choreography on the 1st number. Even Nigel turned around to Tyce to gauge his reaction. Brought a smile to my face. Luckily Tyce redeemed himself with his second number. Also liked NPH calling out Jess on his mugging as well. And seriously why did they bring back Comfort as all All-Star? She was never that great on the show oriignally and it again showed tonight IMO. Having said that there were so many good routines tonight. Twitch & Sasha were a highlight. Hope the bring back NPH as I liked his honesty throughout, and his humour (Mary's thighs anyone :) )..

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Yeah, that was great to see Tyce get called out....too bad they didn't show his face when NPH said that. I agree on the routines too. So many were outstanding.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wasn't able to catch that prime moment, and of course they didn't include that in tonight's recap.

I'm also a little bummed I missed Kathryn, but since she was paired with Jess, who is not exactly my favorite dancer, I don''t feel SO bad.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Spero D said:
Loved Neil Patrick Harris calling Tyce out on his crap Choreography on the 1st number. Even Nigel turned around to Tyce to gauge his reaction. Brought a smile to my face.
Yes, a nice change from the constant praise those folks usually get.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
GaGa did not like any of the hip hop choreo, which was interesting. She also bagged a little on the jive routine with her "Dancing with the Stars" comment.

Melanie's fearless leap in Neil's arms was highly impressive.

I think my faves at this point are Sasha and Melanie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
*Sob* I'm so behind on this show, but I did see last week's results show. I'll have to check out the past 2 Wednesday performance shows tonight if I find the time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I didn't like him much either. Too muggy, though I'm sure that makes him well suited for Broadway.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like pretty was picked over flexibility for the girls. I enjoyed Lauren F's return. Were her thighs always that big in her season? Allison and Marko delivered a moving number. The last number with Sasha and Melanie was good, but not deserving of all that praise.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Joshua crushed Tad in the Lil C number. Mark and Lauren had great nights. True all-stars. Marco had a better night, just barely over Melanie and Sasha, with Tadd trailing far behind. Melanie had a sweat 'tache going on for one of the segments. Marco probably has the more compelling story for a come-from-behind win over Melanie. I'm sort of tired of them pimping Sasha's hard-luck story. Tad is just there as a place holder.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Not too many surprises tonight. Oddly there weren't that many special guest performances, so it felt like a clip show for most of it.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
They sure did set it up for Melanie to win. I think they did everything they could to make it happen. Damn fine final 3 though. I still like Lauren.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Glad to see Melanie win. She might be my favourite female dancer out of all the seasons (though it's a tight race with other dancers such as Allison and Kayla).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Melanie certainly deserved it, put I was hoping Marko would win. Totally enjoyable first season watching for me...can't wait for next season!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised they announced the vote totals for the top 2. That was a pretty wide margin of victory.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I was rooting for Marko too, but can't complain about Melanie winning. She's outstanding and deserving. This was an enjoyable season for sure, and even Mary Murphy was just about tolerable in her semi toned down state.

Was this season shorter than in years past?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's weird is that Sasha was never on my radar, but she got stronger and stronger as the season wore on (plus, I was sort of distracted by Kaitlyn).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Paul McGowan

They sure did set it up for Melanie to win. I think they did everything they could to make it happen.

The season stunk of unfairness and excessive pimping. Not only did she have 9 jazz/contemp numbers plus a Broadway and Lyrical hip hop that were up her alley as well (totalling 11 of 15 dances), but she wasn't given outre styles like Waacking or Stepping that could have made her look bad. Two weeks ago she had two jazz/contemp numbers. In the finals, she had three. Nice way to top off a boring and predictable season, I guess.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The season stunk of unfairness and excessive pimping.

While she certainly did have luck on her side regarding partners and styles (which are still random--a fact addressed specifically by Nigel via twitter), I have to disagree that the pimping was excessive. Nigel himself definitely spent equal time pimping out both Melanie *and* Sasha, while a number of other judges heaped an enormous amount of praise on Sasha. At no point did was the pimping on the same level as we've seen in the past, for example, with Kent.

Also, Melanie deserved the attention.

Waacking needs to never come back, however. It can take stepping and disco with it.

I hope Wade Robson is back next season.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
How many times did Nigel tell Sasha she was the best dancer only to tell Melanie that, no, she was the best dancer? He even did it in the finals and looked a bit foolish in doing so since Sasha's previous routine was better than the one Melanie did. Seemed pretty scripted to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks