What's new

So You Think You Can Dance (Season 8) (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They used to show more bad auditions, but in the past few years, they've extended the Vegas week episodes and introduced the showcase episode (which was a combined green mile/showcase episode this season). The reduction of open audition shows has squeezed out a lot of the bad auditions. So they are still there, but it's nowhere near Idol's ratio. When they used to feature more bad dancers, Nigel would tell the ones who were also dance instructors to refund their students' money. There used to be a guy who called himself "Sex" who would come on every season with his mom in tow. I could never figure out if he was retarded or if it was all an act.

SYTYCD is a much more professional show than Idol. There are amateur singers all over the place who could be on Idol, but it's rare to almost impossible to find an amateur dancer who could be on SYTYCD. So the the percentage of delusional dancers is much lower than delusional singers. And while you hear bad singers hit the charts with the right song, a bad dancer is a bad dancer -- dancing and singing are different animals.

I have always been amazed that the dancers on this show learn two routines a week in such a short amount of time (they only have two days to rehearse their main one). When you look at the scope and complexity of the routines, it's an amazing feat. Meanwhile, the contestants on Idol have a hard time singing well for 100 seconds. It's mind-boggling.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I heard Nigel make a comment on Wednesday's show to one of the couples saying that they learned the routine in SEVEN HOURS!

I could take seven hours just to explain why I CAN'T get the routine down!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

I have always been amazed that the dancers on this show learn two routines a week in such a short amount of time (they only have two days to rehearse their main one). When you look at the scope and complexity of the routines, it's an amazing feat. Meanwhile, the contestants on Idol have a hard time singing well for 100 seconds. It's mind-boggling.

Nigel quipped that they only have 7 hours to practice their routine. I thought that had to be a mis-statement! Will have to tell my wife that it's so.

I have no interest in American Idol and grow weary of the musicians running roughshod over AGT. I enjoy music, but pop singers (and guitarists) are a dime a dozen. For me there's nothing novel to hearing a dozen amateur crooners perform cover songs on their way to becoming the next great, manufactured pop star.

But this dancing: this is not something i experience as part of pop culture, save the five shows I might see in the local Broadway Theater season. And they're not "covers" of the better, original acts. These are new pieces of art.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I've always felt like this show has true talent. Something they've worked years for, like athletes. When I watch Idol I feel like they "cast" the show and that half of them are really terrible. So sick of the story on Idol, "well, she used to sing dem songs up right nice while riding her tractor!sho nuff!". I didn't watch a single episode of Idol this year, and fast forwarded last year. I think this show is only getting stronger.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The seven hours comment referred to the total time the dancers have with the choreographer. They have more time (usually two days, though sometimes it's more) to actually rehearse the routine, but after those seven hours, they better have the choreo down.

There are also the group numbers (small and large this year) to learn and rehearse, plus having a solo prepared and polished. It's really all quite impressive.

As an aside, Cat Deeley has been smokin' hot this season (not that she isn't every season)! She should host *everything.*

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Carmen was pretty nondescript in her critiques, she was just filler for a 2-hour timeslot without as much dancing content due to being down to 7 pair numbers and 2 group numbers. . Ryan needs to go, she gets all this praise, and I just don't find it warranted. She was out-of-sync with her partner Ricky, and not as dynamic in her movement. That being said, the Salsa may do in Ash and Chris, though I don't find the pairing of Alex and Sasha all that interesting. Caitlynn is giving Melaine a run for her money.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
What a different show from Idol...

Backstories that actually tell about the performers, NOT sob stories to garner support.

Behind the scenes clips that get you EXCITED about the upcoming performance.

ENTERTAINING (mostly) performances.

Coherent and relevant feedback.

Yeah, you've got Mary Murphy's WOOOOOOOOO!!!! to deal with, but an incredibly entertaining show to watch, nonetheless.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Carmen was pretty nondescript in her critiques, she was just filler for a 2-hour timeslot without as much dancing content due to being down to 7 pair numbers and 2 group numbers. .

Ryan needs to go, she gets all this praise, and I just don't find it warranted. She was out-of-sync with her partner Ricky, and not as dynamic in her movement.

That being said, the Salsa may do in Ash and Chris, though I don't find the pairing of Alex and Sasha all that interesting.

Caitlynn is giving Melaine a run for her money.
Carmen was pretty blah..but still much less annoying than that woman they had on last week. I don't even know who she was, and I'm happy about that.

I think Chris and Alex are probably the weakest of the group, and agree mostly about Ryan. She seems to be a Nigel favorite.

What is it with these choreographers and the whole zombie routine? We've seen two already this season, and I'm pretty certain there were at least two last season. I don't like any of them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Perhaps Carmen wasn't the queen of eloquence, but she was able to deliver some critical feedback. The other celeb judges have been nothing but glowing, regardless of the level of execution of the performers. Between her and Travis knocking the dancers for their failings, Mary and Nigel also switched off cheerleader mode. So on that level, the judging was much better than it had been the previous weeks.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Perhaps Carmen wasn't the queen of eloquence, but she was able to deliver some critical feedback. The other celeb judges have been nothing but glowing, regardless of the level of execution of the performers. Between her and Travis knocking the dancers for their failings, Mary and Nigel also switched off cheerleader mode. So on that level, the judging was much better than it had been the previous weeks.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree, here. None of her comments were truly critical in any way, and her attempts at "talking the talk" were just plain stupid. It's simply another lame attempt to shoehorn in whatever handshake deal Nigel has with The Pussycat Dolls Inc; I swear someone name drops them at least once an episode.

Megan Mullally was a much better celeb judge--maybe the best they've had.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought Mullaly and Reynolds were entertaining, but as far as offering critiques, it was just a bunch of compliments and platitudes from the "If you can't say something nice..." school.

What we really need is Ron Swanson as a guest judge.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought the choice of dancers to eliminate was appropriate. Even so, I can't say I'm particularly taken with any of the Top 10 at this point.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like Kaitlynn, but for non-dancer reasons. I like Melanie, though there's something about her that hasn't quite connected with me, but she's technically very very good. Sasha and Clarice are okay. Jordan is somewhat limited in moves at this point. Ricky is the cleanest technical male dancer. Jess is entertaining, but his stature limits his partnering. Mitchell is almost there, but I get no sense of his personality when he dances. Marko lucked out with a solid partner, but I think he may have hit his ceiling. Tadd is good, but also is a bit stature-challenged. I noticed that Chelsie Hightower is back as an All-star, wonders if she'll be on the fall edition of DwtS (as they train 6 weeks with their celeb partners before the premiere episode airs).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I happy to say my favourites haven'y changed from the first episode (save losing Ryan, who became very lazy after the first performance episode, and deserved to go): Melanie, Jordan, and Marko.

I think Melanie is going to win, and at this point, certianly deserves to win.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I can't get that excited about Melanie because she's been given quite the free ride with the best routines and partner. Now, you could argue that she was the reason these routines were great, but two contemp, two jazz and a lyrical hip hop in five weeks? The only thing out of their wheelhouse was the tango, and that was actually boring other than the spectacular lift at the end. Let's see her struggle through a Tyce Broadway with Mitchell and see how the other half lives. I'm kind of on the fence about Mark for the same reason. How will he fare in a straight hip hop with Clarice?

DWTS cleared Chelsie for one show. So next week is it for her this season. Still, she's one of my all time favorite SYTYCD dancers, so two enthusiastic thumbs up for me. Also, note that the All Star cast isn't the cast for the season, just the cast for next week. They'll be using tons of dancers from past shows as All Stars. And IIRC, Melody is the first dancer from season one to come back to the show. That's like the lost season no one talks about.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, not too much built-up chemistry between all-star and contestants this season? Hmm... not sure what to think about getting different partners each week, was it this way last season where they pick partner names out of a hat after each elimination episode?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Typically, it's been rotating partners when they hit the top ten. It's been that way since season 2 (season one had different partners from the get go, and last season was different All-Stars from the start). So this season is more like previous seasons with the All Star angle.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess this way, you're not quite stuck with a crappier partner, except through luck of the draw when it's down to 10 contestants.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
In theory, the entire top ten should be the cream of the crop without the fodder.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
It's a shame that guy Alex from last season go hurt again.

I like Melanie (though she's pretty goofy) and Jess most out of the group so far. Jess is better than I though he was going to be but yes, his height is definitely going to hinder him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks