What's new

So What's With These New DVD Cases with Snaps? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone come across these new DVD keep cases with the tabs you have to unlock of the side of the case, where the case opens? For example "Lost in Translation," "21 Grams" and "Timeline" have them.

They seem kind of annoying, does anyone know why they are popping up?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just rip them off... BAM, normal keepcase ;)

It's just another measure to keep criminals from stealing DVDs from their packages in the stores (in line with security stickers).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think my copy of the rundown came in one of these, and I didn't notice them right away and for some reason couldn't open the damn thing...and then is when I spotted them.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Why don't they start making DVD cases out of thick lead with a combination lock to open it. And, the combination is only printed on your receipt.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Shit I thought triple stickers would have been enough. Yes I saw this and I exchanged this box with another normal keepcase dvd that I was trading in.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I noticed these cases on recent Universal discs, but isn't Timeline a Paramount release? I hope they aren't starting this trend too.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Timeline is Paramount.

My copies of Rundown, Lost in Translation and Timeline all have them.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just tossed a recent purchase keepcase that was this new version in the garbage. I have a ton of extra Amaray & Alpha keepcases on hand. Why must these people keep trying to reinvent the wheel? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Andy_MT

Second Unit
it's just one stupid idea after another isn't it ? and unfortunately we all get taken along for the ride until someone realises, oppps!, not that great an idea.

and how exactly is this going to deter anyone from stealing a dvd ? they're very easy to rip off, so where's the logic coming from on this one ? i must know.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Speaking of Draconian security devices, has anyone gotten one of these?

It looks like a regular keepcase, except it has this little red device pinning it shut. The thing fits inside of the "thumb grooves" on the open side of the case. In order to be able to open the case, you have to use scissors to cut the little red plastic thing in three different places.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if it helps keep theft down it helps keep prices down.

if it works, i don't care what the case looks like, i just care about the movie.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
We've had them for several weeks. Paramount is also using them.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I am a shoemaker, and I work hard all day. I cobble and cobble, and yet I cannot keep up with all the shoes I must repair. If it wasn't for the tiny elves that appear in my shop each night, working with their nimble little hands, I would surely be in the poorhouse. But when the elves started watching my DVDs all night instead of cobbling, I was in serious trouble. Elves are clever, industrious and nimble, but above all they are cinéastes. If it were not for those little clasps, which the elves (despite being nimble, clever and industrious) can't pry open, I don't know what I would do.

Perhaps these cases seem annoying and useless to everyone else in the world, but maybe--just maybe--the next time you tear open the cellophane with your teeth or a steak knife, peel off the dozens of strips spawned by the three pieces of security tape, only to find yourself confronted by those tiny plastic clasps...think of the cobblers.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
it's no big deal...nothing to get in a twist about. it's not that new either. I started finding them back with the release of Red Dragon. they are neither good nor bad...as they dont effect anything either way.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

These have exploded in use in the UK in the last couple of months. Known as a red tab security device and fits into specially designed genuine amray cases (I presume they have a copyright on it), it has a square lump of plastic in the opening on the right with two holes the device goes in.

Its intented for high street stores to protect their stock as in the UK we do not have live security tags in sealed DVDs unlike the US. It should be fitted by the retailer to their stock on store shelves. Can then only be removed by a special device at the counter. These lock over the cases open side stopping you opening it. Not sure if they are "live" so set of security devices at the door or just stop you opening the case. If only this not very good if you can open them yourself ! once you have removed it from the store.
It also means they have to break the plastic covering the DVD to insert the device.

The store you bought the DVD from should have removed it, although they probably missed it as new and can only be applied to stock which uses the special amray cases (have seen with Warner & Fox DVDs so far)

It should not be applied to mail order stock as they do not have the theft problem.

This type of case is also used on Australian DVDs as have a couple of this form.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
It seems so far only Paramount and Universal are trying out these new DVD cases with the locking tabs.

Love Actually is the latest one to get this new style case.

If anyone is keeping a list, my copy of How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days is also in a locking tab keepcase.

Interestingly enough, as a parent of a young child (2yrs) and a new born, I am beginning to see an advantage to these tabs as they are pretty decent child proof DVD cases - as those little fingers have a tough time trying to get under those tabs.

While the simplest solution is to keep the DVDs out of reach, that is not always possible, especially when you have too many to begin with.

I suppose worst case scenario, if you don't like them just cut the tabs off, but I can now see some advantages beyond security against theft.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Actually, I find these less obtrusive than tape on three sides of the case. They are very simple to flip open and tear off. Now, if they could use these tabs instead of the security tape, I would be very pleased.

Paramount has been using these for a couple of months now. I have no problem with them. And the hubs in these cases seem to securely hold the disc, while not making them difficult to remove.

-Scott

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I bought a copy of Apollo 13 DTS from Amazon, and it also had the side tabs. Curious since this is an older title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks