What's new

So What's With These New DVD Cases with Snaps? (1 Viewer)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
On the other side of the table....I bought a DVD at Best Buy a couple weeks ago and noticed that it had a small razor blade like slit through the security sticker on the side of the case. But the top and bottom stickers were still intact and the rest of the shrink wrap looked to be in good "tight" condition.

The case felt heavy enough to not be missing anything and it was the only one left of that title....I bought it. Took it home and upon opening it....there was no DVD inside. Only a bunch of inserts (which contributed to it being hard to tell there was not a DVD inside due to the weight).

So....obviously, Best Buy had been ripped off. Someone had sliced the side of the case just enough to pry open the case and somehow slide the DVD out without damaging the rest of the security stickers or shrink wrap. I immediately returned the case to Best Buy and explained the story.....they of course gave me store credit....and mentioned that this happens more than one might think.

So....I understand the desire for a tougher case that can not be pryed open. I think these tabs will work much better than the stickers.....and they are not that hard to tear off after you buy the DVD outright.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
My first DVD with these tabs was Star Trek Nemesis.

Which I think was released about a year ago or so.

So it's nothing new.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
The original batch of Nemesis DVDs where released in standard amaray cases and not in the new lockers. You must have picked up a copy of a recent reissue of Nemesis which are now using these new cases.

It's interesting that not all new Paramount titles are getting these locker cases, like School of Rock, but the majority of their new titles and their reissues seem to be getting shipped with these new lockers and I assume Universal is doing the same with many of their new releases and reissues.

I like how these tabs have a channel carved into them so that they blend into the rest of the edge of the case. I can't imagine that had they not been designed that way it would have gotten much attention, but it was certainly a nice touch on the designers part to do their best not to impact the look of the case and make it look as similar as possible to their standard amaray cases.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit

Nope, I picked this up on release date from Best Buy.

Maybe some stores got the "Lockers" and some got them in standard Amaray cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks