What's new

So, what's the best bottled/canned tomato sauce out there? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I went to the supermarket today and was overwhelmed by "a sea of red." So, I decided to cut through the clutter and ask everyone what their take was on the best tomato/spaghetti sauce? Thanks!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have no idea how widely it's available, but the only ones I can eat are the Classico sauces. They come in mason jars in a wide variety of flavours.
But those are really pasta sauces and not straight tomato sauce. I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
If you're looking for pasta sauces, I have used Classico in the past. I have tended to go with Five Brothers' (now called Bertoli, I think) marinara. I also approve :) of Barilla's, especially the spicy pepper version, and have been pleased with Paul Newman's sauces, having just tried one since I could get two jars for $3.00.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
For mass produced Classico or Barilla. I've really come to like Barilla's pasta also. As far as the mass sauces, they do have to be doctored a bit.

The best market style without a doubt is Trader Joe's, I dont know if they have those outside of Southern Cali or not? At all costs stay away from Hunt's or Ragu, they are the Budweiser's of pasta sauce, horrid!

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Most of the time I add mushrooms, peppers, and other goodies to enrich my pasta sauce, in which case most any tomato sauce will do, although I like the thicker varieties.

When I don't feel like cooking as much, I go with Classico, especially since those Mason jars can come in handy.

-JNS

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I simply use meat flavored generic and season the ground beef I put in it. Only if a name brand is BIG time on sale will I buy that.

For dipping..i.e. mozzarella sticks..I buy generic pizza sauce or heavily season meat flavored generic.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Paul Newman's Sock-it-to-me Sockarooni Sauce is quite good. I can't stand sweet tasting tomato sauces and this is one of the few store bought brands that isn't overly sugary.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I agree Newman's Sock it to me Sockarooni, his marinara and my personal Fave Bombolina are outstanding as far as store stuff goes.

Classico is good stuff too, they have that here near Buffalo...Can't believe that stuff reached BC Rain!

dan

Butch C

Second Unit
Im spoiled...for generations my family buys about 30 cases of fresh tomatoes from a farm in NJ and we grind our own sauce...im not talkin canned tomatoes or tomatoe paste, im talkin full tomatoes in a crate makin 100+ jars on a saturday morning in September

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks