So I ordered a Dayton sub the other night

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lee_L, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

It should be here by Monday![​IMG] I ordered the 100w 10" finished sub, here's the link:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632
    I've read on here that it's probably the best for such a low amount of money, and since I'm a college kid, I went for it. I plan on upgrading it in a few years anyway, so hopefully it'll please my ears until then! [​IMG]

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

That was my first real subwoofer and loved it. I am certain that you will not be disappointed.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Doesn't matter whether you're in college or not, it's a very nice sub and is my sole recommendation under $400.

4. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Wow, under $400??? Even though it's only $125? [​IMG] I can't wait to get it, UPS says Monday but I'm getting worried. It arrived in Illinois yesterday and departed from there at about 1:45 pm, it's about 3:10 pm today and there's no update. [​IMG]

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Lee, please let me know how you like it when you receive it, I'm curious too.

I bought a JBL e150 ($170 new, shipped from eBay but LOL retails for $300 at Best Buy) about six months ago and have never stopped regretting it.

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

My Dayton (with BFD) is awesome in my setup.
    I really couldn't imagine anything more in my apt. setting right now. Already shakes the house no problem.

Tight and fast for music, but wall/floor rattling for those LOW bass scenes in movies.

7. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

eddieZEN, why do you regret getting the JBL sub?

8. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

MikeyWeitz, I've been seeing that "BFD" on the forum, but I don't know what it stands for, care to clue me in?

9. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-656

BEHRINGER FEEDBACK DESTROYER

People use it to EQ their Sub (even though that was not it's primary purpose).

I recently got a JBL E250p and am happy with it. I was expecting a little more but for the price I paid I really can't complain... Haven't figured out the SPL yet and I need to buy the Avia disk. Also considering a used BFD but they're so darn ugly [​IMG]

10. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Oh man, I know about that thing! But I'm a musician, so I've seen it in mags, online, etc. I didn't know you guys were using it for your subs, may I ask why?

11. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"Oh man, I know about that thing! But I'm a musician, so I've seen it in mags, online, etc. I didn't know you guys were using it for your subs, may I ask why?"

Because it's the best low cost sub equalizer on the market.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

David

12. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Lee,

Because it's a cheap POS that doesn't go very deep without getting boomy and resonating/buzzing so I have to adjust the gain very carefully for different kinds of output. Slow and muddy too.

13. David Bikeman

"Because it's a cheap POS that doesn't go very deep without getting boomy and resonating/buzzing so I have to adjust the gain very carefully for different kinds of output. Slow and muddy too. "

Are you referring to the sub or the BFD? You responded to the post about the BFD so I'll assume that's what you mean. If so, your experience is way, way out of line with most of the experiences posted here and in other forums.

David

14. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

He was referring to his JBL subwoofer.

15. David Bikeman

"He was referring to his JBL subwoofer."

Whew! Thanks, Lee. Had me worried for a minute there.

David

16. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Yes, my JBL sub is a cheap POS. I'm not really sure I even know what in the hell a BFD is! [​IMG]

17. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

eddie said: "I'm not really sure I even know what in the hell a BFD is!"

welllll, sometimes it stands for Big F****** Deal.

as in "so what?"

but not this time...

[​IMG]

18. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Eddie, sorry to hear you're dissapointed with your JBL. I recently bought the 12" (E250P) and am very impressed. Just watched the "Incredibles" and the Living Room was shaking. Can't imagine needing more bass. No port noise either which was a prob. with my old sub. For the price ($249 del no tax) this sub is amazing.

19. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Yes I've read that the e250 is significantly better than the e150...I knew I should've forked out the extra $75 or so for it!

On the other hand I shudder to imagine how something could be significantly worse, LOL. (Well, excluding Bose of course.)

20. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Well guys, the sub should be here tomorrow (or technically, later today) and I'm REALLY excited, and very anxious. I've been holding off on renting certain movies because of my lack of subwoofer. I can't wait! I'll get a report up ASAP. By the way, I plan on putting this in a corner, but what direction should the port face?