Snow white differences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Oct 31, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

does the region 2 snow white have the same features / quality of the region 1 version? I really want to get this but am hesitant as the UK is notorious for removing stuff.

2. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Danny,
    I can't say for certain that the UK R2 Snow White has less features than the R1 Platinum Edition, but on past evidence I would suspect it has.
    Comparing the release of the two Fantasia films (both as individual discs and the Fantasia Anthology box set), the UK versions were lacking in several critical features - most noteably the Walt Disney (none screen specific) commentary.
    I watched Snow White last night, R1 Platinum version: it's stunning! Given the sheer quantity of extra features on the R1 version, I would have thought the cost of putting all of them onto the region 2 set and paying the BBFC to "classify" them would be prohibitivly expensive.
    Personally speaking, I'd err on the side of caution and go for the region 1 Snow White.
    Cheers,
    Bren
    trying to get Heigh Ho out of his head....

3. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

The BBFC is the British Board of Film Classification - everything released to the cinema, on a home video format and certain computer games have to be given a rating by them - similar to the US ratings. They can also censor material as they see fit - although they have become more lenient of late.
    This applies not only to the film but all supplementals including trailers, deleted scenes, documentaries, menus etc - and they charge on a per minute basis - therefore it's a lot cheaper for the studio's to omit supplements so they don't have to pay the cost of classification.
    Hope that is of interest
    MA

5. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Mark. That's certainly of interest; and explains why so many non R1 versions are so different. I appreciate your taking the time to explain.