What's new

Smallest sonotube to reach 20Hz at -3dB? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
Well you've heard of gay bashing and woman bashing, right? I'm into geriatric bashing! :)
As to the Texas envy, as long as Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys that state ain't big enough for the both of us, pardner!
Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian, you're right about Jerry Jones. The lady who was president of the Cowboys fan club when Jones took over had some bumper stickers printed. She followed his limo and when he and the driver got out and left, she covered the limo with the stickers. Here's what they said:
MONEY DOES NOT BUY CLASS, JERRY!
Patrick and Brian, you kids need to be nice to your wiser friends here. The insecurity of youth surfaces too much, methinks ;)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Im astonished.

I wish I could understand more than the words, which is obviously what is happening here...

I still don't grasp such refined ironies... So, the only thing I keep is a question mark face.

I hope Jack is having fun.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Astonished, I'm Hank.
Ahh the words...empires rise and fall on what lies behind the words...
Manuel, don't worry - I have a question mark face many times myself. I've got a lot to learn about speaker design.
Don't worry about a language barrier, just ask sincere, well thought-out questions and good old altruistic Jack will answer them.
I have trouble with Spanish, porque es un poquito dificil para mi.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Hank

Thank you very much for your post. Yep, words, but also implied content, which is much more complex to grasp if you are not a native speaker like me! I try to ask meaningful questions, and will keep trying to understand, even if some answers are kind of acerbic in content...

Dificil? yo diria que esa oracion muestra que si sabes.

Salu2

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about a language barrier, just ask sincere, well thought-out questions and good old altruistic Jack will answer them.
As is always the case. What you don't want to do is draw conclusions without evidence (i.e. the inadequacy of LspCAD)
or ask questions repeatedly until you get the answer you want (your Kenwood threads). That's a waste of everyone's time. I think that if you should the slightest inclination towards learning anything for yourself, the kind folks here will go overboard for you.
With that said, I apologize for seeming acerbic or insulting.

Yo tengo mucho hambre. Quiero almuerzo ahora.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Jack,
You are right, I ted to draw conclusions to early, often, this leads to the right answer, but sometimes it just make me look bad. Normally, I can grasp more or less easily what is going on, but I feel rather frustrated when I can't.
And this is the case when dealing with all the parameters needed to build a sub by myself. :angry: I just keep loosing it!
So, what Im trying to say is that Im willing to learn, I want to learn, but somehow reading the answers I can get just make me feel more confused. Q's, Fs's, LSpCAD's, Qm's and etc are extremely obscure for me.
I have searched for explanation of those terms on the Net with not to clear results, often I feel Im beggining to understand something, but if I turn my head to early I can't remember what I had already "understood".
Apology accepted, and I want to apologize also If I had transmitted to you any feeling of being stubborn or whatever.
:D :D :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I really think the best thing is to play with Unibox, LspCAD, or WinISD Pro, you start to get a grasp to how everything comes together.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Try a Brahma 10, 1.5 cubic feet, and tune to 23 Hz. With a typical 80 Hz XO, it's pretty flat from 20 Hz to 85 Hz, all in a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure. Has displacement equal to the 12" drivers mentioned in this thread as well... If you want tiny, here you go!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Jack,

I will definitely play with the software once I buy my first driver, based on its parameters. Im still searching for a good option in my country, I will end buying a Shiva, Tempest or Brahma driver (but it will be much more expensive here (around 60% more) due to taxes and import costs), so for now Im searching options of no more than 85 bucks and that I can find here easily.

Im about to finish my first test, a sonosub based on my ol' Kenwood (which you remembered well). It was not that hard to build, Im not expecting great results, because I don't know a single parameter of the driver nor if the amplifier has a boost or not.

Anyway, the cost was ridiculous (around 40 bucks) and it was a good excercise. As soon as I find a driver (I posted a thread asking if the parameters of a Cerwin Vega that I can buy are any good) I will start to play with the programs and post my questions in the forum.

DanWiggins,

Good to see someone from Adire! As I said, I can't buy any of your drivers in here (Mexico City) without paying stratospheric prices. Do you happen to know if there are plans to distribute your drivers in my country?

Thanks to both.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, este tarde y manana, y Viernes y Sabado, voy a tomar mucho tequila (Sauza Hornitos) y cerveza (Tecate con limon)! Fajitas tambien. Happy Fourth of July, speakerbuilders!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks