What's new

Smallest box possible for Shiva? (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
What are the dimensions for the smallest sealed box I can make for a Shiva 12" driver that has a Q around 7?

thanks
Jim

A

Anthony_Gomez

For a q=0.707 with no fill and no leaks and 0.1ohm series resistance, you need 62L.
For a q=0.707 with heavy fill and no leaks and 0.1ohm series resistance, you need 38L.
or just follow the white papers for the Shiva at adire.
..or get a linkwitz transform and put it in a box the size of an acorn :D

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
After factoring in some VC heating and reducing the cab by stuffing it with 3.0lbs of R-19 fiberglass, 2ft^3 plus driver and bracing. Call it a 16" i.d. cube.

GM

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. I downloaded the PDF file on the .7 Q design which suggests a 54L (1.9 cubic ft.) design. I'm not happy with the 3~4 cubic ft. vented box its currently in. Can someone suggest someplace to buy a pre-fab 2 cubic ft. box? I don't feel like building one :) By the way, how do I keep the filler material from getting on the amp? Is there some high-temp/fire resistant material I can staple over the amps internal circuitry?
thanks
Jim

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered just plugging up the port, and putting some bricks inside the enclosure to soak up the extra volume? That would at least give you an idea of how the Shiva would perform without paying for an enclosure, and if you were satisfied with a smaller sealed enclosure, you could then go looking for someone to build it for you.
BTW, Parts Express offers 3 ft^3 enclosures, but they are pricey considering the raw materials involved.

AllanRW

Second Unit
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrn...tics/id15.html
I built a 14" cube CNC machined for Bob at CSS and was shown at the NW DIY.
Running the RCM 150 AMP with a 6db boost at 35hz.
These cabinets will be up for sale in the following month or so.
Just getting all the info ready for Bob to post.
But the cost for a cabinet ready to assemble with 45 lock miter joints is very low on the pocket book.
And best you can assemble with or without clamps.
And ready for finish of your choice in 2hrs time.Just enough for the glue to dry.
These can be ordered with or with out driver holes and amp holes cut as well.
And a option for cutting a second cabinet volume is in the works as well.
Just by picking the dato you assemble the driver board into will give you different volumes.For different drivers besides the Shiva.
Good luck with you design.
Al

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

I had my Shiva in a 38 L sealed enclosure. I was not impressed. It was in an 85 L sealed enclosure prior to the smaller box. It is now in a ported 70 L enclosure tuned to about 20 Hz. Much better in a larger box. I was disappointed with the performance in the small sealed box.

AllanRW

Second Unit
With boost without how much at what frequency???
I do know this has been in the works with Dan and Bob.
So I know it is a provine design.

Al

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
No boost. The sound quality in a larger box is much better IMHO. Articulate, tight, deep are words that come to mind. I was just listening to a classic... U2's Achtung Baby..Track #12 Love is Blindness. Never heard that quality bass from the small sealed box. The Babbs don't sound too shabby either-95 dB at my listening position with peaks to 100 dB.
Maybe with an LT you can get better quality out the the smaller boxes. And 70 L (2.5 ft^3)is not too far off from Jim's 2 ft^3 box idea.
Don't get me wrong, the small box sounded good but the larger box brings the Shiva to life! Ask my wife, she can't stay in the room anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks